After the storm

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few shots from the Whakatane river mouth after some serious rainfall over the past days. Here is my photoblog of what I saw I guess.

whakatane15th007.jpg

whakatane15th002.jpg

whakatane15th006f.jpg

whakatane15th005.jpg

whakatane15th004.jpg

whakatane15th003.jpg

whakatane15th001.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I would like a wider view of the whirlpool.

No problem Ron, my time machine still had a fully charged flux capicitor and I was able to carry out your request.

whakatane15th008.jpg

I love 1,2,3 and 7. Great images. Not a fan of the black and white really. At first I thought I liked it but Im not sure. On the fence. I think the whirlpool shot would be a good high contrast black/white. Either way some really good captures.

Number 2 and 3 are my favorite. Think you could explain how you took it? ie. Shutter speed and f/ and such? I also like the black and white, it carry's on the theme of a storm. Dull and sad.

I love 1,2,3 and 7. Great images. Not a fan of the black and white really. At first I thought I liked it but Im not sure. On the fence. I think the whirlpool shot would be a good high contrast black/white. Either way some really good captures.

+1

I especially like #3, the SLIGHT blur on the waves give a cool effect and there are points of interest in the foreground, middle and background. The color of the water is pretty sweet as well.

nicely done! love these pictures and you can even frame some of these! BTW, can't view your EXIF data but did you use any long exposure, more than 3 sec on any of these? If so, is it the time of the day that makes them how they are or did you use any ND filters?

nicely done! love these pictures and you can even frame some of these! BTW, can't view your EXIF data but did you use any long exposure, more than 3 sec on any of these? If so, is it the time of the day that makes them how they are or did you use any ND filters?
Thanks, see below.

Number 2 and 3 are my favorite. Think you could explain how you took it? ie. Shutter speed and f/ and such?

Thanks.

For Number 2:
Canon 500D/ T1i
Canon EF-S 18-55mm Kit lens @18mm
f/13
2 second exposure
ISO 100
2 second self timer
Cokin P type graduated ND filter + ND8 filter + CPL filter.
Manually focussed using live view 10x.

For Number 3:
Canon 500D/ T1i
Canon EF-S 18-55mm Kit lens @20mm
f/8
1/4 second exposure
ISO 100
2 second self timer
Cokin P type graduated ND filter + ND8 filter + CPL filter.
Manually focussed using live view 10x.
Plus on camera flash for a little fill on the foreground rocks.

Cool! Where is that water going; surly there is not a drain there.

Just a "natural" eddy there Ron, the water is hauling ass, 300mm of rain in 24 hours or so, by the time we got there the water level had dropped by over a metre. I estimated that over the 2 hours we were there it dropped another 4 inches.

Nice conversion Ron, I dont even realise half the time when I mix metric and imperial in the same sentence, strange considering we have been using the metric system here pretty much since I was born.

But for some things imperial just works better in my mind, depth of water I always use imperial, speed on the ground in metric unless your pulling a "ton", altitude when I was flying was always discussed as imperial unless it was ascent/descent rate then it was metre's per second and screen sizes I can never get a grasp on unless its displayed in inches, and I am a pay TV installer by trade, lol. :er:

PS: I write with my left hand, but my strong side is my right side and I am officially classed as right handed, maybe that has something to do with it. Just some more useless irrelevant information for a Monday!! ;)

Most reactions

Back