Age Excuses...

but wait, there's more.
Really, I have a feeling people my age will have a difficult life once they move out to their own 4 walls. Im not saying all but a lot. And then these people will endup like the people in Idiocracy.

jaszek: heh...there was a story the other day about a watch with gps in it for those parents that always want to keep tabs on their children so the children can have "freedom". there was a reply by a user to that story something along the lines of "we keep child proofing our world, but when are we going to worldproof our children?"

which i took to mean that parents can be so over bearing and all this "think of the children!" crap that gets spread around...the poor child has no idea how to grow up and support themselves. we're have an entire generation now that feels entitled to have everything and their parents do just that, and always be there to take care of them.

I also hate it when people think my parents help me pay for my photography gear. 100% of what I bought for my camera (now over $5500) I paid myself. I swear, these "teenagers" should go get a job. What, then you tell me you hate your job? Thats because you were being supported by your parents all your life and you have no skills nor education for other things that get you better paid jobs than working at a burger king.

No one seems to understand what i'm saying. I'm just commenting so the younger members learn better. Saying: cool for 15 doesnt help. Saying I like the .... and try this and .... next time does.

I understand what your'e saying...!! (and I agree with your theory) I just think your 'delivery' wasn't very well thought out...

I'm 63, and a fairly new photographer.. I think what I want, as well as what you want for younger beginners, the same thing... I want to be told what I did good or bad - and why, and how I could have done it better.. I want this regardless of my age.... but people will comment as they will, and, what appears to be a rather angry post, is not going to have any effect, except to demonstrate that age and experience - temper and demeanor - tact and finesse just inherently trumps an angry youthful rant...

Lighten up a little - if someone can't put into words why the like/dislike a certain picture in their first comment, then you can always post back and ask the 'why'...

photo28.. i do agree, thats its annoying that younger people think the critque should be different because they are young.. people should just be critiqued, it should have nothing to do with their age... if your photo sucks, i'm going to tell you it sucks.. whether your 5 or 50.. BUT.. to say that getting a good photo is all about luck.. thats just plain foolishness.. YES.. some times, a noobie will get a good photo, by luck, but, a person who has been working at this art for x years, doesn't take a good photo by luck, they take a good photo because they know what they are doing..

I agree. Didn't mean to make it sound like that...I meant to stay on the lines of some shots can be luck (some shots younger kids take that they don't even realize are what they are...). I was way over emphasizing my point right there...

I still think kids deserve a break and boosted encouragement, there's enough negative crap in the world these days - let them be excited about their new found hobby.

If it sucks it sucks. I'm OK with them putting their age in the title... let's me know if I need to butter it up a little, nothing wrong with that so long as you provide information to make it better next time - which we really should be doing anyway.

I agree about the encouragement - you dont want to turn them AWAY from photography, but I still think you should tell them how to improve. Once you tell them how to improve and they use your advice, they'll realize their other photos sucked, if they didn't believe you if you said it.

I still think kids deserve a break and boosted encouragement, there's enough negative crap in the world these days - let them be excited about their new found hobby.

If it sucks it sucks. I'm OK with them putting their age in the title... let's me know if I need to butter it up a little, nothing wrong with that so long as you provide information to make it better next time - which we really should be doing anyway.

why do they deserve a break? simply because of their age? thats silly. nothing says you have to be negative in your response. thats why its called constructive criticism, or i guess as you say "butter it up a little". you can still be honest, but you can do so while being truthful. i think responses should be tailored to the experience level of the individual, not simply their age. obviously with someone younger you run the risk of them maybe not knowing some bigger words and the like, but that would be the only reason i'd see for wanting to know someones age.

the point was for the ones saying "im 15 c&c pls kkthx!?" people are simply replying "great shot!" because of the posters age. they arent giving any real c&c on the pictures. i believe a 15 year old has (or should have) the mental capacity to handle constructive criticism, and i also believe thats what they are asking for (though maybe some are simply looking for that pat on the back...and are getting it!).

You're saying just because they post their age that they want you to say 'good job'? Maybe they are posting their age so you can tailor your response to their perceived experience level.

Remember, to kids everything is new... I can also imagine they wouldn't really think there might be a 40 year old trying photography for the first time.

I'll agree to disagree on this topic, because to me - it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Is it really any worse than someone saying 'Tree, First HDR' - and assuming they want you to tailor your C&C based on it being their first HDR image.
Or someone posting 'First wedding, C&C'.

If you keep nitpicking everything you'll drive yourself nuts... relax. :)

Last edited:
If you're posting an image for C&C, I DO NOT want to know what your age is, what your sex is, what color your skin is, whether you have blonde hair, blue eyes or green teeth. Shut up about you and just show the image on it's own.

BUT...... the posts I avoid like the plague are title with something like "my wife, girlfriend, son, daughter or Aunt Esther. Mind you I'm not stupid either. There are a few posters where I r-e-a-l-l-y want to see the girlfriend. :D

But this cracks me up.........
Screw this thread....
Meant to help the younger people by teaching them more but instead ends in fighting... **** it.
Throw a tamtrum when two people have pointed out where you may have been better off to have sat there and throughly considered your words for your apparently well intentioned act of kindness. You began with a negative and provided a unreallistic hypothesis of age for the beginning of this arguement. Chronology has nothing to do with "newbieness" as ottor testified to. However, with some years of life experience behind you, (typically) self-censorship comes into play and those are (somewhat) less likely to post complete rubbish. However........... some folks, regardless of age, can't see with both eyes wide open.

well, what you stated is different. a first hdr or first wedding is totally different than another person saying "hi im 15, how are these?"

a first hdr can come from someone that has zero experience and just bought a camera, or it can come from someone who's been shooting for 50 years and is just now wanting to try one. same thing with a wedding.

all im trying to point out is that responses should be tailored based on the experience of the poster, not their age...and thats what the OP was also trying to say. i also believe that the less experience require more discretion in responses given to them as to be encouraging yet still truthful. more experience shooters (and those more experienced with the c&c provided on forums) should get (and expect) more honest and brutal responses.

No one seems to understand what i'm saying. I'm just commenting so the younger members learn better. Saying: cool for 15 doesnt help. Saying I like the .... and try this and .... next time does.

I understand what your'e saying...!! (and I agree with your theory) I just think your 'delivery' wasn't very well thought out...

I'm 63, and a fairly new photographer.. I think what I want, as well as what you want for younger beginners, the same thing... I want to be told what I did good or bad - and why, and how I could have done it better.. I want this regardless of my age.... but people will comment as they will, and, what appears to be a rather angry post, is not going to have any effect, except to demonstrate that age and experience - temper and demeanor - tact and finesse just inherently trumps an angry youthful rant...

Lighten up a little - if someone can't put into words why the like/dislike a certain picture in their first comment, then you can always post back and ask the 'why'...

I agree w/ you..........

I believe EVERYONE should be told the truth..........
I also believe if a 15 year old is posting his age the chances are he is having a confidence issue. He s saying hey Im new to this and young so I dont understand everything Im doing. You can also read into it that he prolly idolizes the people on the forum and will take every word to heart. Where as someone that is older will be able to brush a harsh comment off a little easier. I am personally glad to see a 15 year old have the guts to post pics. Its a tough crowd out there!! :sexywink: I only hope he doesnt read this thread.

If you're posting an image for C&C, I DO NOT want to know what your age is, what your sex is, what color your skin is, whether you have blonde hair, blue eyes or green teeth. Shut up about you and just show the image on it's own.

BUT...... the posts I avoid like the plague are title with something like "my wife, girlfriend, son, daughter or Aunt Esther. Mind you I'm not stupid either. There are a few posters where I r-e-a-l-l-y want to see the girlfriend. :D

But this cracks me up.........
Screw this thread....
Meant to help the younger people by teaching them more but instead ends in fighting... **** it.
Throw a tamtrum when two people have pointed out where you may have been better off to have sat there and throughly considered your words for your apparently well intentioned act of kindness. You began with a negative and provided a unreallistic hypothesis of age for the beginning of this arguement. Chronology has nothing to do with "newbieness" as ottor testified to. However, with some years of life experience behind you, (typically) self-censorship comes into play and those are (somewhat) less likely to post complete rubbish. However........... some folks, regardless of age, can't see with both eyes wide open.

I agree w/ you..........

I believe EVERYONE should be told the truth..........
I also believe if a 15 year old is posting his age the chances are he is having a confidence issue. He s saying hey Im new to this and young so I dont understand everything Im doing. You can also read into it that he prolly idolizes the people on the forum and will take every word to heart. Where as someone that is older will be able to brush a harsh comment off a little easier. I am personally glad to see a 15 year old have the guts to post pics. Its a tough crowd out there!! :sexywink: I only hope he doesnt read this thread.

Ok, I went to far there, I was just pissed at the misunderstandings. :p

So stay on subject:
Even if the kid is 5, I think telling them what they did wrong (even if its broken down to something very understandable) is necessary. How's the kid gonna get better if he keeps hearing great job. Sooner or later hes going to notice on his own that his pictures suck, so might as well help improve, or he may even get out of photography because he think's hes terrible. If the kid sees the same stuff good job for 14 or whatever, he's going to notice he's not doing good.
Mixing confidence as in I think this shot has potential if you just fix .... next time... is much more productive.

I get it.... All are equal and should be judged so; 5-50, blind, crippled, or crazy, if they can't walk to a location, they should have someone carry them.

First, I think it's stupid to even spend your time stewing over this, or even getting worked up over it enough to have to vent. I should start putting "Only 27" on my posts to see if I get a thread.

Now with that said, I don't see a need to take into consideration a persons age, to a point. I mean if we had a parent posting good captures from a 3yr old, I'm going to be amazed and give the kid some serious credit, where with someone older it would be expected. So do we have a cutoff age? I believe I do, but couldn't put a number to it.

Now we've talked about age, but what about a person with disabilities? What if someone with DS comes in here with fairly good captures that they were supremely proud of, would you belittle them or think it was awesome they were able to produce good captures?

Does this age issue only pertain to Photography? What about other activities that involve machinery and thought (not physical ability)? Should you expect everyone to be judged as equal in something along those lines?
Why do they usually have age brackets in Fair submissions? Why not just lump them all together?

ponder

I get it.... All are equal and should be judged so; 5-50, blind, crippled, or crazy, if they can't walk to a location, they should have someone carry them.

First, I think it's stupid to even spend your time stewing over this, or even getting worked up over it enough to have to vent. I should start putting "Only 27" on my posts to see if I get a thread.

Now with that said, I don't see a need to take into consideration a persons age, to a point. I mean if we had a parent posting good captures from a 3yr old, I'm going to be amazed and give the kid some serious credit, where with someone older it would be expected. So do we have a cutoff age? I believe I do, but couldn't put a number to it.

Now we've talked about age, but what about a person with disabilities? What if someone with DS comes in here with fairly good captures that they were supremely proud of, would you belittle them or think it was awesome they were able to produce good captures?

Does this age issue only pertain to Photography? What about other activities that involve machinery and thought (not physical ability)? Should you expect everyone to be judged as equal in something along those lines?
Why do they usually have age brackets in Fair submissions? Why not just lump them all together?

ponder

People with disabilities is a totally different subject. They may be phsyically unable to take the picture, while someone young can. I think you're missing the point of this thread though.
I'm meaning saying age in the thread can be bad for the poster because they won't get good advice from it. Kid's want to succeed and get better. They want to be the best. Trust me, I'm 17, I know. Seeing great shot for 17 is cool and all, but if I get that repeatedly I might as well just ask a wall. I'd rather have confidence (a nice job) AND you should do .... etc than cool for you're age... because really, what is that saying? It's basically saying I would think the shot sucks if you were older, but you're young, so I'll lie and try to make you confident.
Now what if the kid enters a contest. He'll assume he's doing great because of everyones lies until he see's he hasn't even come near winning; then he's going to do that a few times and then just move away from photography because he think's he's just not good enough.

Let me take a stab at this. Honestly, I'd be lying if I thought this thread was all about helping people. You posted it because it obviously bothers you. What matters is why it bothers you... It makes no sense for it to bother you that other people aren't getting as much out of posting here as you'd like them to, so I don't think that's it.

I think it's a maturity thing. As people grow up, their level of maturity changes quite rapidly for a long time, especially through middle school, high school, and mostly through college. I know when I was 17, seeing a 15 year old who was doing something I perceived to be immature bothered me. What do you think this thread is going to look like to you when you're 19? 24? It's not going to look like as rational and insightful as you think right now.

At some point (most of us) get over it, and just let people who are immature be immature. It's not affecting you, so why get worked up over it? Let it go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back