Age Excuses...

photo28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been seeing the "__ year old noob shots" a lot lately and it's starting to get almost annoying. Kid's arent getting proper advice and therefore not learning as much. There's nothing different between a picture from a 15 year old or a 50 year old, besides some experience in some cases. Actually, I'd rather be critiqued as if I were a professional rather than someone who knows nothing if I were 15 - what do you get out of it besides, wow, cool for a 15 year old... another ridiculous statement. Surely a pro with a D3000 can take some great shots, but so can a 12 year old with a Rebel XT - and the shots might even be better.
If you're new to photography you're new. It's not something where you get critiqued specially and extra nicely because you're younger - might as well be critiqued harder and more strictly so you learn more younger - so by the time you are a pro (plus you'd become a professional with experience faster), you'd be younger and know more.
Critique should be the same for everyone - age shouldn't limit or restrict how harsh your critique is. Straight up, if a picture sucks it sucks. No one should say this shot sucks straight up either though. They should say this shot sucks because:...
I think people are getting the I'm a __ year old n00b threads wrong and commenting saying somethng liek cool for your age. What is that going to do for them though? Are they going to learn anything from it? Are they going to get better (all teenagers want to be the best).
rant & ramble on

Last edited by a moderator:
What I want to know is why certain members feel it's necessary to control how everyone else posts.

Don't get me wrong on my op. I mean don't say I'm 15 as in don't critique me terribly because from what I've seen, most of the posts that said 13..15..etc had some really great shots and they seem to have a lot of potential. So I'm saying it in a way to help not in wa way to say shut up - but to be open to full critique - because most of them are to that level. If they learn with some really good advice rather than soft laxed down ideas than they might take some killer shots (if they haven't already) in just a few weeks or months depending on opportunities. A few threads like the one with the car interior and the city scape came out really good. For some people though, seeing a young age makes them hesitate to give them their real opinions, and without those, it'll take longer for them to get better.

I've never been on a forum with this much complaining.

There are some seriously sensitive people on this board.

No one seems to understand what i'm saying. I'm just commenting so the younger members learn better. Saying: cool for 15 doesnt help. Saying I like the .... and try this and .... next time does.

Quote:"I've seen 10 year olds take better pictures than some professionals. It's all about luck, location, and opportunity."

Uh, no, it's not about luck....luck is when preparedness meets opportunity. A professional photographer MAKES shots happen many times. A professional ohotographer is usually old enough to drive an automobile to get to the location where his photographs will be made--in my state a 15 year-old can only have a learner's permit,and can not have friends in the car with him. A 15 year old is basically limited to the locations where mass transit takes him or wherever he can drive to with mommy or daddy in the front seat next to him.

And you claim to have seen 10 year olds take better pictures than some professionals? I do not know which is the more laughable proposition; that there are professionals so bad that 10 year olds can top their work, or that there are 10 year olds who are so talented that their photography skills outstrip those of professionals.:thumbdown:

I don't mean literal 10 year olds but I'm sure there are some talented kids out there.

Screw this thread....
Meant to help the younger people by teaching them more but instead ends in fighting... **** it.

If you were 15 would you rather have someone tell you how to make your pictures better or have a bunch of people say cool for a 15 year old?

they want real critique like from anyone else - they want to get better too.
Not just a cool youre only 15? Sure that gives them confidence but it surely doesnt help with their technique.

im with photo28 on this one, and i think the others have missed his point entirely. we live in this stupid world these days where all of our children are "winners" and there are no losers. parents (when they do decide to be there) do nothing but spoil their children and tell them how perfect they are and how perfect everything they do is.

it's bunch of bs. all photo28 is trying so say is that these same kids come here and ask for c&c and on their photo's, and because they put their age in their post they think in their minds that they will then be special. the members who reply only solidify this by telling them how great the shots are for their age...instead of providing REAL c&c. no one gets better by sugar coating things. we cant all be winners, and not all of our shots can be "great shots! i love them all!".

And I do think I went a little far on the op, I just wanted to prove my point that, these kids should get C&C not Cool & cooler for your age comments.

Also after speaking about it - I realized I emphasized the luck part a bit much.
Some photos are luck of course, but many are from experience and skill too. Sorry to mislead everyone there.

I agree with both photo and chammer. Seriously, who gives a fu(k if you are 15 or 20. Photography is photography. You can say how long you have been in it, to help you get better critique, but telling us that you are 15 years old wont help.
I agree that today's societies children are spoiled and live in "A perfect world". I might still be a teenager but I decided to work for my self. I dont have a ****ing iPod, or some stupid **** everyone has because it's "cool". I worked for my photography gear, I worked for my phone, I worked for other sh|t.
So next time you want to post a photo: WE DON'T GIVE A FU(K HOW OLD YOU ARE!!!

photo28.. i do agree, thats its annoying that younger people think the critque should be different because they are young.. people should just be critiqued, it should have nothing to do with their age... if your photo sucks, i'm going to tell you it sucks.. whether your 5 or 50.. BUT.. to say that getting a good photo is all about luck.. thats just plain foolishness.. YES.. some times, a noobie will get a good photo, by luck, but, a person who has been working at this art for x years, doesn't take a good photo by luck, they take a good photo because they know what they are doing..

but wait, there's more.
Really, I have a feeling people my age will have a difficult life once they move out to their own 4 walls. Im not saying all but a lot. And then these people will endup like the people in Idiocracy.

thenikonguy: yep, thats the only part i disagreed with. i think over time luck gets turned into skill as we grow and mature with anything not just photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back