Air Shot & Rainbow - C&C Please

shlafy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These shots were taken on Highland Lake in Upstate NY. What do you think?

jump.jpg

rainbow.jpg

C&C per req:

1. I think it's a start, but a start with a way to go. There are a few technical issues. First the image leans drastically to the left; always try and hold your camera level and square. Line up the grid lines with fixed points on the horizon. Next, the sky and water suffer from blown highlights. This is a bit of a challenge to deal with at mid-day, BUT the use of a polarizing filter will help, especially with the water. I honestly can't be sure if you've nailed the focus on the dog or not.
On the artistic side, something coming toward us is always more interesting than something going away. Get out in front and get the shot. As well, there's a LOT of unused space not contributing to the overall image.

2. This is a really neat image. I would consider cropping about the bottom 1/4 - 1/3 off just to feature the rainbow more prominently.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the input. I'm pretty sure the pup is not in focus and I definitely have some issues with holding the camera level. Working on that for sure :)

# 2 those are called fire rainbows or circumhorizontal arcs and are formed when there are ice crystals in high level cirrus clouds.

...and a rarity to see. You were lucky enough to capture one. I have seen one before, I thought my eyes had a little lens flare going on!

I would crop in on #2 as close as you can get, make it about texture and color.

I agree with cropping #2. My eyes keep getting pulled down away from the main subject. Very nice other wise.

better? looks grainy to me :(

rainbow2-1.jpg

C&C per req:

1. I think it's a start, but a start with a way to go. There are a few technical issues. First the image leans drastically to the left; always try and hold your camera level and square. Line up the grid lines with fixed points on the horizon. Next, the sky and water suffer from blown highlights. This is a bit of a challenge to deal with at mid-day, BUT the use of a polarizing filter will help, especially with the water. I honestly can't be sure if you've nailed the focus on the dog or not.
On the artistic side, something coming toward us is always more interesting than something going away. Get out in front and get the shot. As well, there's a LOT of unused space not contributing to the overall image.

2. This is a really neat image. I would consider cropping about the bottom 1/4 - 1/3 off just to feature the rainbow more prominently.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

"ALWAYS" is a pretty strong word..... maybe "Typically" would be a better word here. I know, on this particular scenario you would "probably" want the horizon straight, but keep in mind, there a people here that take suggestions very seriously, so let's not tell someone to "ALWAYS" do something. There's no rules in photography... especially when it comes to composition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back