"air travel in US" - carry on question

Mystwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have not flown anywhere in ages so not sure what is legal nowadays.

Anyone know if airline will allow Slingshot 300 + notebook bag?

I've thought about buying a backpack that will accomodate camera + notebook, but can't find anything that can carry as much as the SS300 + a 17" notebook (nothing in my price range at least).

I have not flown anywhere in ages so not sure what is legal nowadays.

Anyone know if airline will allow Slingshot 300 + notebook bag?

I've thought about buying a backpack that will accomodate camera + notebook, but can't find anything that can carry as much as the SS300 + a 17" notebook (nothing in my price range at least).

I would think that is fine. I traveled in january and had my camera bag plus a backpack that had my laptop in it. Nobody said anything to me.

Depends on the airline and even the mood of the people in charge of checking your bag size...but I would venture that you will be OK with those two bags.

I carry a 17" Toshiba laptop in a bag with accessories and a LowePro Mini AW trekker (1 camera, 4 lenses and accessories) and had no problems as of many times in 2008 in and out of Canada/USA.

As Mike mentioned, though, if you are so much as remotely close to having a tan or look remotely suspicisous, you will get not only told what to do, but get the rubber glove treatment at the same time for free.

It really depends on the circumstances... but in theory, yes you can easily carry that on, no issues.

Thanks for info.

Tried to find specific "allowed dimensions" on internet and discovered the Slingshot 300 has slightly larger dimensions in one direction and smaller in another. In terms of volume, it's smaller though. I will ask wife to wait for me to get through security - just in case they make me put it in baggage.

A good tip is to wear a vest/jacket with large pockets. That way, if your bag is too big or too heavy, you can just take something out and put it in your pocket...you could probably it it back into the bag once you get going again.

Be careful..

Airport Security doesn't care what size your bags are..

But when you get up to the boarding gate, if they don't think that your stuff will fit under the seat, or in the overhead, they take it from you right there and send it outside to baggage..

Be careful..

Airport Security doesn't care what size your bags are..

But when you get up to the boarding gate, if they don't think that your stuff will fit under the seat, or in the overhead, they take it from you right there and send it outside to baggage..

That is why thy have those little metal frames all over the place for you to test. My Lowpro did not fit, but I took out the camera, placed it over my neck and pushed it in tightly... I was let through. Once on the plane, camera went back in and fit neatly in the overhead without issues.

I have never carried anything that fitted in those metal frames and I have never had a problem either. (Knock wood)

I have even seen someone with a bag that clearly didn't fit in the overhead or under the seat and the flight attendants took the bag and stowed it in the suit compartment (usually for business class as far as I know). This was Lufthansa if anyone is interested :)

It really is a matter of luck.

A pelican 1510 is TSA approved, hard case, very durable, and relatively inexpensive. Before I purchased dividers, I would just stuff my entire packed-ready-to-go camera bag into it for extra protection during transit. If it doesn't fit in the case, then I know I am risking problems at security check points. I would also pack a lock and cable for securing it when it is out of sight... of course leave it unlocked during security check in.

I have gotten the "special" treatment many times... but I always cooperate and never had a problem getting it stowed in the overhead compartment.

I had a man a few people in front of me asked if he would mind being "verified" and he balked a little... man they worked him over to no end behind a protective screen, you could hear him complaining. When my turn came, I was asked the same question... I answered "heck, do your job, my friend, I would rather you check everything and everyone so I feel safe on your flights becuase as far as I am concerned, you are working for MY safety!"... the man smiled and waved me through. ;)

Give them all the respect they are due, they have a job to do and let them do it. Now, about the nail clipper thingy, though it borders on the rediculous, they have their reasons. Just pack your things accordingly and all will be ok.

One thing... NO spare batteries that do not fit inside your camera or flashes. Put that in your checked in luggage. They do not mind a camera with 2 batteries in it, but that 2nd battery had better be inside a grip and not loose in your bag.

A good piece of advice is to read the websites of the airline that you are flying. As far as I know, they *ALL* have their policies clearly outlined online. Helps avoid delays when you are all anxious to get going. :)

PS - United SUCKS... I have delay or timing issues with them ALL the time.

usayit do you carry your 1510+a rucksack or similar or just the 1510?

I'm planning on going to the US sometime this year and plan doing the whole trip as carry on to save delays/risk of lost luggage.

usayit do you carry your 1510+a rucksack or similar or just the 1510?

If traveling light, I just place the bag inside the 1510. If I'm traveling with more stuff, I'll use my divider set and stuff the 1510 with everything and put my shoulder bag in checkin.

It all depends, whther or not they accept it as a personal bag. I slipped a guy a twenty to let a Pelican 1570 on board, as carryon. It had my 70-200, laptop and alot else, and even in a Pelican, I wouldn't trust the handlers.

The difference between your 1570 and the 1510 is that the 1510 is TSA approved (the only one in the pelican line). You risk the one time that the guy won't budge or take your money to allow the 1570 on board. If that happens, then you are in a tough position.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back