"air travel in US" - carry on question

i carry a huge ass duffel bag full of cameras video and photo. I have never had any problems. And its really big.

I think most airlines still allow one carryon and one "personal item" or some term like that, usually you can bring a laptop bag or purse in addition to a carryon.

The 1510 is what I have, but it may be heavier than allowed, but they don't weigh anything, so don't let on if you feel it is heavy.

Now for the real BS; airlines have started charging money to check even one bag!

One thing... NO spare batteries that do not fit inside your camera or flashes. Put that in your checked in luggage. They do not mind a camera with 2 batteries in it, but that 2nd battery had better be inside a grip and not loose in your bag.

They are afraid of batteries exploding, and so they should be. That said I carry loose camera batteries all the time BUT I tape up the terminals. I had one person look at the lose battery when departing Singapore but they deemed it ok.

What about having your camera scanned? Anyone have issues or lost images?

It's been about 6 years but I had a nice P&S camera scanned which ruined the viewing LCD on the camera and scrambled images on the card. Ever since I don't let any of my video or SLR get scanned and wind up arguing with the security until they just visually check it. Any changes in their equipment?

What about having your camera scanned? Anyone have issues or lost images?

It's been about 6 years but I had a nice P&S camera scanned which ruined the viewing LCD on the camera and scrambled images on the card. Ever since I don't let any of my video or SLR get scanned and wind up arguing with the security until they just visually check it. Any changes in their equipment?

I never heard of this, they usually scan every camera and I've never heard of problems. It may have been a coincidence in your case?

I've had my D200 (with battery and memory card with pics on it), scanned about 20 times and never had an issue. I personally think it was a defective or low end card that would have done that with or without the x-ray machines.

Today's best bet is to NOT get confrontational with security, else they pull out the rubber glove, irrespective of what your complaints are. Some things they will check visually (pull off the lens on a SLR, start a laptop), and other things they just scan.

Don't get on someone's nerves if they are having a bad day... it could easily cost you a flight, or worse.

I never heard of this, they usually scan every camera and I've never heard of problems. It may have been a coincidence in your case?

Not sure. It did mess up the camera as well as the card. I've read a lot about people removing video tape and camera cards because of this but never where it affected the camera.

I'm nice about it until they pull out the owner's manual and try to show me where the manufacturer of the scanner says it won't damage electronic devices. I usually ask them if they will buy me a new camera if it screws it up. When they refuse, I then tell them that I'm not willing to take the risk on an expensive piece of equipment either. They have always let it go after that and just have me turn it on to show that it is operational. You don't have to be a whiny little adolescent about it but if I'm professionally firm they back off. I think it might be easier now, that was right after 9/11. If no one else has ever had the problem, then I think I might let them scan the camera to avoid the confrontation.

I believe you have a legal right in a lot of countries to have a hand inspection. The only time I ever requested one was on a domestic flight here in Australia when I had Kodak HIE loaded in the camera along with it's big label which say (Caution IR sensitive film, do not X-RAY)

Actually this confused me a little since IR and Xrays are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but who am I to aruge.

Heh, don't worry about bag limits - it's all just social engineering.

Virgin America, Washington Dulles to Los Angeles:

0) One big-ass duffel filled with clothes, checked.
1) One traditional carry-on sized suitcase, filled with clothes.
2) One CamelBak back-pack, filled with a) Tablet PC in case and b) assorted other things (Hudson News for example).
3) One LowePro camera bag I bought at Ritz Camera, containing a D80 and 2 lenses.
4) One set of 055XPROB legs in the plastic bag they were shipped in.

A total of 4 items, absolutely no problems, not stopped by TSA, flight attendants, or anyone. Granted, I'm 18 and I don't think anyone's scared of me or anything but so long as you don't take either a huge, obviously too-big-for-the-overhead-bin bag or 2 carry-on suitcases nobody cares, just like nobody cares if you bring a carry-on suitcase, a purse, and a newspaper and a few magazines in a plastic shopping bag twice as big as that purse.

Keep in mind, this is the same TSA that missed the 3 liters of water that I accidentally left in my CamelBak, and this was with the drinking tube hanging outside the backpack.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back