Aircraft HD

dannydoyle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone here shot front on aircraft and displayed the image as HDR?

I am looking to attempt this, but after looking at other peoples images I am not sure, as some of them almost look like oil paintings.

Is this a problem with HDR in general, or could it be their over processing of the image
Help is greatly appreciated, we all started somewhere and I have learned there is always someone wiser than you.

Last edited:
Heavy Duty?

High Density?

Hard Drive?

High Definition?

And what is 'shot front on aircraft'?

Harley Davidson?

Harvey Dangerfield?

Howdy Doody?

Dunno what you're asking, but you should just try it and see what happens. The best way to learn is to do.

Since there's no 'official' or 'legal' definition of it, HDR can be anything you want it to be. It can be as realistic or as cartoonish as you want.

Heck, you can toss a jelly doughnut on a plate and call it HDR if you want.

I think it is fairly widely accepted that HDR means 2 or more exposure stacked images combined for dynamic range beyond the camera's normal one shot abilities (and whatever of a variety of possible final products are derived from that extra range availability). Style has no standard though, no.

Thank you for your reply. I will give it a go and see what I think. I like some hdr images and others I hate.

Unless the aircraft is/are stationary, that's going to be very challenging. If you do multiple exposure HDR, whether automatic in camera or manual, your shots are going to try to capture a fast-moving object...you'll have a heck of a time trying to match the images.
Not discouraging...actually, Give it a try!

High density resolution images.

HDR i forgot the r at the end.

Ah, it all makes sense now. To be clear, HDR stands for "high dynamic range", meaning the lightest and darkest areas are exposed. I've been wanting to do this for a while. Definitely give it a try!

You should consider asking the question: "Why do I need an HDR image?"

If you shoot into the sun, the camera will expose either correctly for the sky (with a dark background), or the background (with a white area where the sun is)

In these situations, HDR photography makes sense. You simply stack the images and suddenly you have an even exposure.

Where then, is your need for high dynamic range with regards to the airplane? Are you shooting from the inside, and want to see outside? Shooting an airplane flying over the sun?

Assuming you are shooting into the sun at an airplane, and for some cannot wait until a different time of day or compose in a different manner, HDR will work.

However, if the airplane is not stationary, you may have issues with "ghosting" -- the airplane moves and your HDR software isn't able to blend images that perfectly overlap.

I could visualize shooting an airplane from the front, maybe as it's taking off or landing, with the sun in the background? The movement would still be an HDR issue I'd think.

EDIT: And getting landed on might be an issue too in that situation. (Sorry ... couldn't resist)

............If you shoot into the sun, the camera will expose either correctly for the sky (with a dark background), or the background (with a white area where the sun is).............

Not if you've learned how to properly use a camera.

............If you shoot into the sun, the camera will expose either correctly for the sky (with a dark background), or the background (with a white area where the sun is).............

HDR helps you get shots you normally can't, if you are shooting a dynamic range bigger then what your camera can handle, without clipping

Hence the name.

Realistically, there are very few shots this applies to. You are right, for the most part, you can get a proper exposure with other techniques

HDR helps you get shots you normally can't, if you are shooting a dynamic range bigger then what your camera can handle, without clipping

Hence the name.

Realistically, there are very few shots this applies to. You are right, for the most part, you can get a proper exposure with other techniques

You missed my point. Whenever you're in a situation where HDR can 'get the shot', you shouldn't be letting the camera make any decisions.

Hence the name.

You missed my point. Whenever you're in a situation where HDR can 'get the shot', you shouldn't be letting the camera make any decisions.

I'm glad you agree with me, as I asked the OP to consider why he wants HDR in the first place. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back