Airline friendly bags

CxThree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I currently own the Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW. I love this bag, but it is quite large. Lowepro says it's airport carry on legal, but I am a little worried. I really don't need to carry that much gear on this trip. I'd like to take:

40D with grip
70-200 F2.8 L IS
24-104L
50mm 1.4
17-55 F2.8 IS
580 EXII Flash.
15 inch laptop and accessories.

I am looking for suggestions for a good bag for travel thats not too big, but still roomy enough for that gear list. Maybe the computrekker AW?

Also, has anyone traveled with the computrekker plus? Did it fit on the plane well? Overhead?

Check out my list. 3 weeks ago I was flying from New York To Warsaw connecting in Dusseldorf. Only problems I encountered was in Germany they wanted me to open my bag and show them that its photo equipment. I have a huge bag (forgot the model, its a lowepro) Its definatley too big for a carryon but I didnt have any problems. The only problem I had was that on the small palne from Dusseldorf to Warsaw I coulndt really fit it under the seat in front of me :p. SO you shouldnt worry for the bag being to big. O and also my bag was overweight. The limit was 8kg with a laptop I had about 11kg :p

I just checked and I have one of the Vertex ones. Either the 100, 200 or 300.

a little off topic from OP but

My stuff goes into a Hard case pelican 1510 roll around and a small shoulder bag is packed as if it were my carry on (cloths, provisions, etc). When I get to my destination, I empty out my shoulder bag and transfer camera stuff to it. I pad lock it.

I have never been stopped from bringing it on board (in the US it is TSA approved). I have been asked to open it for inspection which I always comply. There was once I was the last person to board and all the space was taken up in the over head compartments. I had to give it to the flight attendant to check it in with the strollers and such. I was glad that it was a hard case because I've seen how some of the baggage is treated at air ports.

Reason why I bring this up is
* you already own a computrekker (which can serve as your under-seat check if you pack loosely)
* the cost of a pelican 1510 is about the cost of another shoulder bag
* more protection than any soft bag and more secure (lockable)

Thanks. I talked to a friend last night that said his computrekker bag fit easily under the seat and he believes my computrekker plus bag would do the same. If not, he said there is no worries putting it in the overhead. It may work. I was thinking it was too big.

How much bigger is the plus than the Computrekker?

I've got the Computrekker and I've taken it around the world, no problems with it on airplanes. It can get a little big, especially when I've got the front area stuffed full though. I'm sure it would fit into those metal racks that they have at the air ports, to size your carry on bags...but because it's a backpack and sort of flexible, it's never been a problem.

Some really great bags at the ThinkTank Airporter bags. They are designed for air travel and security. They are not cheap though.

A good tip, if you are worried about it, is to wear a vest or jacket with lots of pockets. That way, if your carry on is too big (or too heavy), you can take something out and put it into your pockets. You can probably put it back, once you are out of sight of the security person who was in a bad enough mood to tell you it was too big. ;)

Here is the biggest warning I can give you about airline carry-on's.

You have to remember alot of flights are now on commuter sized planes. They do not have the same sized OH bins as the regular planes have (the dimensions listed as approved size). Almost all of the commuter airlines have smaller bins, and "normal" sized carry-on's have to go with the baggage for the flight. Yes, you carry it to the gate, and you get it back after you get off the plane (doesn't go to baggage claim). But it still goes with the rest of the luggage (and the handling that goes with it).

If you check your camera bag. And they destroy or loose it. Unless you claimed it's value at check in (and of course pay a fee). You will get the standard rip off payment (if they even pay you). Basically your SOL!

Make sure you know what aircraft your going to fly. If your on a commutter flight (most flight numbers over 2000 unless its a code share on different airline). Make sure what ever bag you take fits under the seat, or in the smaller OH bins.

And remember the photo bag will count as your bag. So, you will have to pay the rip off fee for checking luggage (alot of airlines now).

GO TO THE AIRLINE'S WEBSITE

It's amazing how often a question here comes up asking what would fit or would be allowed to be carried on an airline, what can go through customs, or what you are not allowed to check. Here's a news flash. Every country is different, every airliner is different, and more recently every time you fly it's different.

I flew to Brisbane to Sydney with Virgin with my camera bag and had no issues. Even had my huge manfrotto tripod in carry on baggage.
I flew back to Brisbane with ... Virgin and the lady told me I'd need to check my tripod. Only after a 10 minute argument about how I got to have this tripod in Sydney did she agree that I could take it on if security would allow it.
I flew up to Hamilton Island with JetStar and lo and behold they said that same bag I took to Sydney on Virgin is too big for carry on baggage.

I can't stress this enough. Read the website of the airliner.

I'm a fan of pleading with the airline's staff. Though usually I don't have to plead for my saxophone (which is, by far, more fragile than any decent DSLR or lens); they've learnt from their mistakes in dealing with musicians (i.e. we get very pissed when we are force to check an $18,000 instrument, and it comes out the other end in pieces).

And what's up with these airlines and charging for any checked luggage? Thank goodness for WestJet; two checked at no extra charge. (Beyond that, oh yes, they rip you off but goodly.)

Thanks everyone. I think I am picking up the Think Tank Airport Antidote. IT looks like it holds all of my gear and fits easily under the seat in most all planes. It also has a removable laptop compartment with it's own storage pouch and carry strap. $200 though. :(

My first post...and it's to Elvis! :)
I'm flying with my Tamrac Expedition 6 tomorrow with pretty much the same gear you have listed, minus one lens, but with my grids & my Zune, power cables, chargers, etc. thrown in there. It's heavy but it looks like it'll fit no problem. I'll give you the rundown when I see you at work next week.

Wit

Thanks everyone. I think I am picking up the Think Tank Airport Antidote. IT looks like it holds all of my gear and fits easily under the seat in most all planes. It also has a removable laptop compartment with it's own storage pouch and carry strap. $200 though. :(

Think of it thusly: Would you rather spend $200 on a bag that'll get thoroughly trashed, or risk having to replace your 70-200 F2.8 L IS ? ;)

Oh, and pack your 50 1.4 nicely. Bubble wrap is good. The the focus mechanism of these lenses don't take any sudden shock well (learnt that one the hard way).

Good advice. I have already had the 50mm serviced once and it now sits in a thinktank modular pouch. :)

I can't stress this enough. Read the website of the airliner.

Yes.. but there are times that I had to have things checked under the plane even with approved sized luggage.

I still prefer the pelicans over the think tank products. Similar size and cost but the pelicans are hard/durable plastic that is watersealed and lockable. I believe they are the same products the military uses for their sensitive equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back