AirShow C&C

DerekSalem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, these pictures were taken back in probably August, but I've been really busy with some training and whatnot (Air Force). These are *really* basic and not edited beyond slight color correction in LR (because my contrast reset itself on my camera without me noticing. It was so bright out that day I could barely read the LCD and the viewfinder looked fine). Either way, here they are. Please feel free to rip them apart lol (btw these aren't meant for art, but I'd still like advice on how to take a better picture)

1)
3897583076_fbfaef24c5_b.jpg

2)
3897626384_ea7a915448_b.jpg

3)
3896820131_a8bdf17c32_b.jpg

4)
3897585456_65f62f5e0f_b.jpg

5)
3897580356_8e156156b1_b.jpg

6)
3897590810_bb6910aa3b_b.jpg

#1: i like the idea, I just don't think it works in this paticular picture. i think you should have zoomed on the aircraft WAY more.

#2 / #3: Nice action shots. they are alright, but they just don't really do anything for me.

#4:That one is really cool. I like how these three different aircrafts look together and how you captured the prop of the last one. (by the way, what kind of planes are these? I think the middle one is an a 10, but I totally have no idea about the other two.)

#5: Really cool. i love the energy in that picture.

#6: I don't know. Looks pretty boring to me.

Overall, i think a bit of a contrast-boost would make them pop more.

well said kkjun, on top of that id add that they seem both out of focus and motion blurred, but, yes, contrast and more PP would help

They do seem motion blurred. I think you needed a faster shutter speed to really stop the jets. GL
TJ

I took the liberty of making some curve adjustments & sharpened....helped a little.

3897590810_bb6910aa3b_b.jpg

#4:(by the way, what kind of planes are these? I think the middle one is an a 10, but I totally have no idea about the other two.)

You are correct. Left to right - P-51 Mustang, A-10 Thunderbolt II, F-15 Eagle.

This one would've been really sweet except you clipped the Mustang's wing.

i'm curious why they seem so soft hand hazy. On some, it doesn't look like motion blur, like the harrier or the strike eagle for example... curious.

Thanks for the great C&C everybody! As far as the hazyness I was hand-holding and although shooting at a pretty good speed it apparently wasn't enough for some of the shots. These guys were zipping by anywhere between 400 and 1500mph so it was tough getting nicely-centered pics (I'm still pretty new to photography).

The reason the harrier and eagle look a little better is the harrier was in VTOL mode and the eagle was banking at around 60 degrees (which probably dropped the speed down to around 300mph).

# 2 = WOW!

Except for the lead plane being to the side a little bit, look at how well the lines in the wings of the other planes line up.

Precision flying...

Considering the planes speed think you did an awesome job!!

#1 I think a different crop might help a little. Cool idea but it seems to be missing something
#2&#3 I love the energy that the picture captures, I agree with the PP I think a contrast boost would really help the jets pop from the sky.
#4 I love the placement of the planes...very cool picture!
#5 and #6 not my favorites, the movement in #5 is neat though!

I think they look fine. 1 is actually pretty good. I think it works BECAUSE the place in centered. Since it's so small this picture wouldn't work because of all the empty space it would have.

What kind of lens are you using? I suggest a shutter speed of around 1/1000 for jets and about 1/125 even though you can go lower and just pan to get sharp images. You want to make sure that the prop is blurred. We know it's flying, but it just doesn't look natural for the prop to be stopped almost completely.

Also, check your PM

~Michael~

#2 is cool but could use some work to eliminate some of the haze and maybe punch up the color a bit.

#5 has sort of a neat effect going on with it. More contrast I think would help this shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back