AI's Wonderful World of Macro

great shots and great info!OP good shot on the dragon. that first green lynx spider is nice. Banana spiders are out in force here in florida.

great shots and great info!OP good shot on the dragon. that first green lynx spider is nice. Banana spiders are out in force here in florida.

Thank you. No doubt on the spiders being out in force this summer. Im in SW Florida as well. Lots of critters to hunt!

Here is an immature yellow garden spider. Same species as in 1st post but this one was about 3/4" total.

1/200 @ f11 ISO 400 two SR-B200s for fill
4843435251_e48409058f.jpg

I was really happy to catch this awesome little Tropical orb weaver (Eriophora transmarina) today! What a cool little spider. Less than 1/2".

1/200 @ f10 -2/3EV ISO 400 one SR-B200 for fill
4847003548_f13f1de831.jpg

Striped Blue (Leptotes marina). These guys are tiny! Also less than 1/2" but really fast.

1/200 @ f8 ISO 400 two SR-B200's for light
4847003374_8fc4c9e25f.jpg

Last edited:
A yet to be determined Leaf footed bug (Loptoglossus ...) This one looks like he may have avoided being eaten early in life. His carapice is kind of mangled on one side.

1/200 @ f13 ISO 400 two SB-r200's for light
4847540464_96c472b153_b.jpg

Leaf Footed Bug (Leptoglossus phyllopus)

1/200 @ f8 ISO 400 two SB-R200's for light
4846384357_ec643a8728_b.jpg

AI....looks like you are getting the hang of your new gear very quickly. These last few are really great shots and I can see an improvement in your lighting with nearly every shot. The lighting in the last 4 is absolutely perfect.

AI....looks like you are getting the hang of your new gear very quickly. These last few are really great shots and I can see an improvement in your lighting with nearly every shot. The lighting in the last 4 is absolutely perfect.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :thumbup: Using strobes for macro is turning out to be a great learning tool for light use in general. Everything applies to large scale subjects too. But small changes have such a more profound effect at macro scale.

Here is an "in-flight" shot.

1/200 @ f8 ISO 400 one SB-R200 for fill
4846384461_c283ba349a.jpg

^^ Very nice shot...those are tough to get and he looks very sharp.

This thread is going to be fantastic. All of these shots are absolutely astounding. Great, great photos, honestly. Can I ask what lens you are using to shoot these? Youre making me reallly want to dish out another $500 on macro flash. :er:. Jealousy has officially settled in. These are fantastic.

Mark

This thread is going to be fantastic. All of these shots are absolutely astounding. Great, great photos, honestly. Can I ask what lens you are using to shoot these? Youre making me reallly want to dish out another $500 on macro flash. :er:. Jealousy has officially settled in. These are fantastic.

Mark

Geeze, thanks Mark! :blushing: Macro has always been one of my favorite aspects of photography. Its really nice to have the capability to actually delve into it. Cant wait to start stacking images (soooooon).

Im using the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR (thats an awful lot of letters :confused:)

And I love the capabilities of the R1. But I certainly would have spent another $100 for less plastic. Or, at least, better plastic. With all the awesome composites out there Im suprised they went with HDPE. It seems delicate. And Im guessing some of the "clickey" parts are going to wear over time. Still, its a really powerful tool. And Im definitely glad to have purchased it.

Southern Carpenter Bee (Xylocopa micans). Black, shiny and fast. This was the best I could get. Hes coming out of the bottom of a pine log.

1/200 @ f13 ISO 400 both SR-B200's
4847729169_69f7e6da83_z.jpg

All your shots are fantastic! Macro really blows my mind. Do you bait the bugs in or just find them?

All your shots are fantastic! Macro really blows my mind. Do you bait the bugs in or just find them?

Much thanks. Havent had to bait. I live in SW Florida which has a ton of bugs. Especially in the summer. Bait usually attracts one thing: fire ants. Its pretty cool how they can signal to all bit you at the same time. And by cool I mean it sucks a lot. :thumbdown:

Thats definitely one thing I love about macro. If you have some flowering plants you dont need to leave your yard for subject material. :D

True florida rocks for bugs. All you can eat! well ... Im still learning about bugs here. Its really amazing how common they are. Standing under an oak tree can blow my mind!
Likeing that bee. Nice to get it in a different atmosphere other then a yellow flower. Nice capture.

Well, Nate was right. I need more magnification. This crab spider was so hard to capture. His entire legspan is about 2mm max. Thats an ant he is chowing on!

1/100 @ f18 ISO 400 both SR-B200's
4882801219_7d6ecefef4_z.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back