Alberta (Calgary) Meetup

That's right Terri, it is September not August :)

Good so we have lots of 'definitely's so let's start getting details! So we have zoo as a 100% location, should we have another location for models if Mike can line any up?Then possibly dinner for those who can do a full day for those who couldn't make it due to working (cough)Tolyk(/cough)

Oh! What time start?

It says that the zoo is open from 9:00 to 6:00. We may as well get an early start so how about meeting there at 9:00, then start our 'tour' no later than 9:30?

I assume that we will probably have lunch there. I'm not sure how much time we will want to spend there, but I would think that it will be a long time. Maybe until 3:00 or 4:00?

Do we want to get a model or two? If so, where would we want to shoot them? We obviously don't want to be driving all over town, I assume that the traffic in Calgary is a bad as usual :er:

It might be a little too hectic if we go right from shooting at the zoo to a 'model' shoot. How about we go from the zoo to The Camera Store before it closes at 5:00? That will give us a chance to hang with Tolyk and also give all of you a chance to buy me something ;)

We can then go for supper & some beer (I'll buy you a beer Roy).

If we are not tired and sleepy after that, I suppose we could go somewhere for some sunset/twilight/night shooting.

Last edited:
I like Mike's Itinerary :D I don't mind a bunch of photographers visiting me at The Camera Store at all *chuckle*

Oh, and my name is Dean guys :) Tolyk works, but wouldn't work if you were looking for that name tag ;)

Okay, so here is the current itinerary - feel free to amend!

A.
Meet 9:00AM at the main ticket booth at the Calgary Zoo (the one where you have to walk under Memorial Trail to get there)
Map can be found here

B.
Head into the zoo at 9:15AM - for any of you stragglers ;)

C.
Lunch at the zoo around 11:00 or 11:30ish (beat a bit of the rush)

D.
Leave the Calgary Zoo and head to the Camera Store around 3:00PM-3:30PM ish. The Camera Store closes at 5PM so that will leave a little bit of leeway
Map/directions can be found here

E.
Hang out at the Camera Store, entertain Dean/Tolyk. I have heard there is some awesome graffiti behind The Camera Store, and I am sure there is plenty of neat downtown/urban looking areas around there so perhaps we even do a model shoot there? Don't know!

F.
Dinner at ______________

G.
Night shot at ______________

I think that is the general idea... err.

I am heading to Iceland on Tuesday and won't be back until the 3rd so I might be out of TPF commission until then. When I get back I will PM the 'definitely's my cell number :)

That looks good to me Brittany.

My cousin is in Toronto for a while, so I don't think I can use her to find us any models...but I think we will be OK just shooting some urban scenes. Roy can model for us if we need ;)

Roy,
May long weekend sounds good to me for a mountain meet up. Something may come up between now and then but I'll try to keep that open and we can start to plan something in the new year. As we said last time, it's probably best to keep it to 3-5 days max and concentrate on one area like Banff/L.L./K-country etc. and leave Jasper for a different trip.

I'm definitely interested in the Banff trip. I just got to go to the mountains for my first time, I definitately want to go back! Preferably to do some hiking instead of just stopping at the side of the road now and then :p

Sounds good, I am not sure I will be able to attend all events, but will certainly try to make at least part of it!

Wow
Seems like there is some interest in all this now!

I will be sure to attend, Do not forget the Zoo has a huge indoor garden and butterfly sanctuary if weather is too horrible.

A great night shoot may be possible from downtown somewhere or even the calgary tower?

but I think we will be OK just shooting some urban scenes. Roy can model for us if we need ;)

Bring your wide-angles and plenty of beer! I have to be in the right mood before I will model! :lol: :thumbup:

I know a great spot for a night shot of the downtown area. This could be a plus!

Oh
Bring your wide-angles and plenty of beer! I have to be in the right mood before I will model! :lol: :thumbup:

I know a great spot for a night shot of the downtown area. This could be a plus!
I am definitely all over that! I just moved into town and know of no such spots myself.

And where the hell is the Weir everyone keeps talking about? Apparently there's been lots of pelicans there lately.

Well I am heading up north for work next week, so wont be in on this one.
Hope you all have a blast, and I look forward to seeing some shots.
A few tips on the zoo shoot,, get in as soon as the gates open, the animals will still be sleepy and easier to frame, do the Canadian loop first, there will be fewer people in the aviaries, someone bring kleenex and paper towels, a lot of your shots will be through glass. Not sure if the flutterfies will still be alive in sept, but if they are be prepared for some major lens fog, its very humid in there enclosure.
Maybe see you all at the May meet!

Most reactions

Back