High School Photography Competition

bryan.babcock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to apologize if this isn't the right area for this post.

I am a staff member in a school district. We have started a photography group on Fridays. I am trying to give the students a goal for their work in the group. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for photo competitions or shows for us to submit their photos to. It seems like everything I find is either dated or out of their skill level.

Would anyone be able to help me find some shows for these students? Thank you for any help in advance.

The local library has photo competitions once a year. May want to check with yours to see if any in your area has one.

If you are looking for challenges for your students then check out this forum section on Weekly Challenge

Maybe check at your County or State level (assuming you are in the U.S.). When my son was in high school, the county had a juried competition for the high school art classes.

What would stop you from starting one yourself?

Start low, slow and local. Try weekly subject/theme/location shoots. Encourage them to present themselves for rejection and to accept criticism. If there's buy-in, explore expansion to other schools in your district/school board. Any chance to shoot film?

Frankly, unless they're already shooting and showing work now, entries into wider community shows/contests seem unlikely.

Maybe check at your County or State level (assuming you are in the U.S.). When my son was in high school, the county had a juried competition for the high school art classes.

Who would I check with? Extension office?

What would stop you from starting one yourself?

Not enough time or knowledge. We are a small school district in rural Iowa. We don't have an organized photography class due to lack of teachers and time.

There is a staff member that teaches in the elementary that does photography as a side business. She is teaching the sessions to secondary students for a half hour on Fridays during her prep time.

I have just started it as a hobby so I don't know anything. I'm the district's technology coordinator. I am also helping with the robotics team as well as helping a group of students run a YouTube channel they release weekly content on.

Just don't have time, but maybe someday if this stuff takes off.

Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it.

Of course none of your students ever post images on social media, right? Think you're already half way there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back