Alien Bees and cheap triggers.

kanuski

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally bought my first studio lights. They are the Alien Bees B800's. It works great with the pc cord and as a slave but I would like to go wireless.
Can I use my old YN RF-603's or will I need to upgrade? If I use the 603's, do I use the small 2.5mm port on the side to connect to the lights?
If I have to upgrade, would you recommend the YN 622c system or the Paul C Buff CyberSync trigger system?

Any trigger will work if you connect it to the 2.5mm sync port, however all that will give you is triggering. If you want wireless remote control of the lights, then you need to step up to the PCB system. Personally, I've never seen the need for remote control in a studio environment; my lights are never so far away that I can't walk to them in a couple of steps and make the adjustment I need to.

Any trigger will work if you connect it to the 2.5mm sync port, however all that will give you is triggering. If you want wireless remote control of the lights, then you need to step up to the PCB system. Personally, I've never seen the need for remote control in a studio environment; my lights are never so far away that I can't walk to them in a couple of steps and make the adjustment I need to.

+1 Or, keep it simple stupid. :)

If the camera is on a tripod (fixed anyway), the PC sync cord to the nearest flash is not any issue.

The fill light is always as close as possible to the lens axis (often behind and above the camera), so this is a very short distance.

But when you're shooting out of the studio and can't reach a flash that's 10' up in the air, remote adjustability comes in handy.

Step ladder. :) Hair light is only time I need it. We have to get up there to aim it too.

Last edited:
Village Idio said:
But when you're shooting out of the studio and can't reach a flash that's 10' up in the air, remote adjustability comes in handy.

First world flash problems!!!!

Thanks for the help everyone. My triggers are unreliable anyways so I think I will upgrade. Cybersync or 622C?? Probably the 622C's so I can use them with my flashes.

I'm lazy I just change ISO LOL

I finally bought my first studio lights. They are the Alien Bees B800's. It works great with the pc cord and as a slave but I would like to go wireless.
Can I use my old YN RF-603's or will I need to upgrade? If I use the 603's, do I use the small 2.5mm port on the side to connect to the lights?
If I have to upgrade, would you recommend the YN 622c system or the Paul C Buff CyberSync trigger system?
I have these too. Check out Buff's CycberSync system.
Paul C. Buff - CyberSync Cyber Commander

Most reactions

New Topics

Back