All Digital Camera's SLR!?

Saeid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok i was thinking the other day, and it occured to me that almost all digital camera's with LCD screens are SLR.

You are basically shooting what u are seeing on the screen. (this is course if u dont use the view finder, then again no one really does)

Oh and im not talking about the professional digital camera's.
what u guys think?

In theory, yes. In practice, no. You aren't really seeing what the lens is seeing, you're seeing what the lcd is showing you. So focusing and dof preview isn't all that realiable.

That's just my take on it though. :)

That's only because the film is in the way and to convert the image so it's the correct way around though isn't it? So it's isn't a defining part of an slr really. Or am I wrong?

You're talking a bout a prosumer camera- powerful enough to do professional shots, but not considered an SLR.

To be an SLR, you need two things. One- the veiwfinder OR LCD must show EXACTLY what the lens sees. Electronic viewfinders on digital cameras (like my fuji finepix s7000) also show what the lens sees. So yes, LCD screen cameras could be considered SLR if they fulfill the second definition as well.

Two- Removable and interchangeable lenses. This is where most digitals, and my own Fuji, fail to become an SLR- the lenses are set in stone and can not be changed.

Oh yeah. :roll: :oops:
But it's only there because the film is in the way. So as I said, in theory yes, in practise no.

*runs off and hides his red face*

Replic, not all SLR cameras have removable interchangeable lenses. That is not a requirement for SLR. Single lens reflex cameras have one lens that the photographer sees through and the light travels through to expose the film, or sensor, and the reflex is the action of the mirror moving out of the way when you open the shutter. A point and shoot digital with no mirror and prism is not an SLR.

It has nothing to do with interchangeable lenses or not. Most SLR cameras have the ability to interchage lenses, but not all.

I think he is just referring to being able to see what the lens sees. Not the ability to change lenses.

Replic said:
Two- Removable and interchangeable lenses. This is where most digitals, and my own Fuji, fail to become an SLR- the lenses are set in stone and can not be changed.

I was refuting this statement, which is untrue.

Technically, not all digital cameras are SLRs. The term SLR (single-lens reflex) refers to a camera whose viewfinder and capture device (film, CCD chip, or CMOS chip) use the same main lens. Since normal consumer digital cameras usually have a viewfinder that uses a different lens than the one that the CCD or CMOS does, they cannot technically be referred to as an SLR, because they do not have the reflex action that reflects the image up to the viewfinder from the main lens. However, most digital cameras do have an LCD screen on the back that shows you what the sensor is seeing through the main lens. So you can see how the subject matter will be framed in the final shot without any parallax error. And you can also get a general sense of the focusing and DOF. However, there is a limit to the number of pixels that the lcd screen can show. The sensor can capture many more pixels than the screen has, so you don't get to see all the information in the image when you look at it. This is where the advantage of a true digital SLR comes in. The viewfinder on a DSLR is basically the same as on a film SLR camera. It is optical, not digitial. With an SLR, your eye is seeing the shot without the LCD in the middle, which means you can see much more detail since your eye can see more information than an LCD would display. The advantage of this is that you can get a better sense of the focusing and depth of field when you see the shot optically than digital. DSLRs are especially useful when the camera has interchangable lenses, since then a separate viewfinder would not necessarily show what the lens is seeing, and the LCD display would not show you precise depth of field and focusing. So basically, no; technically not all digital cameras are SLRs, although in practice they kind of have a similar effect because of the LCD screen, but as you get more advanced in photography and need more accuracy in framing and focusing your shots, the separate viewfinder and LCD are not enough and you need an SLR viewfinder. I hope this clarifies the subject a bit.

And about interchangable lenses: digital matt is right; considering the definition of an SLR, a camera does not necessarily have interchangable lenses in order to be an SLR. All the term refers to is the fact that it uses one single lens for the viewfinder and the capture device, regardless of whether that lens is interchangable or not. Most SLRs do happen to have interchangable lenses, since if it did not have an interchangable lens then it could have a separate viewfinder that was built specifically to match the main lens, which would be almost as accurate as making it an SLR (as well as cheaper).

Yes but htey are usually around 97-98%- im pretty disapointed with the S5500 only showing 89% of the frame with the LCD and EVF-
I had always considered SLR to mean having the optical viewfinder AND intechangebale lenses, so ive learnt soemthnig new

Most reactions

New Topics

Back