All for £10

gsgary said:
You have not met many artist then, most of them look like tramps, i used to live in the artist capitol of the UK StIves Cornwall and most of the top artists are not that bothered about how they look or what people think

Then I guess he won't be bothered that I think he's a hoser. ;-)

Bruce Gilden does not correct tilt

Bruce Gilden had an an eye for composition. If he tilted the frame in some of his shots it was because he saw the superior image available, and did what he had to do in order to make the shot. If you wish to emulate someone, that is fine. Lame, perhaps, but fine.

Your rather weak attempt here is nothing at all what Bruce Gilden would have done with the scene, so why would you feel the need to use the work of another photographer to bolster your own? Your work should stand on its own without naming somebody else with which to excuse your technique.

I don't think comments like this enhance the discussion. None of us can "know" the intent of the photographer when he presses the shutter - only the result.
If someone develops a style that is evident in the consistency of his/her body of work, then those assumptions "may" be more appropriate.

Until then, a great shot (or a bad one) can be as much the result of an accident as careful preparation. So judge the photo, not the photographer.

(I'm speaking here of forum posts, not Bruce Gilden - just to be clear. ;) )

I already judged his photo. I don't like it. I posted earlier that since he was going to tilt it, he may as well have tilted it in an appropriate direction. His reference to Bruce Gilden was his lame attempt to shed blame. OP referenced Gilden, not I, and he did so with the implied intent of claiming artistic license.

Jesus Christ... Will you clowns stop drowning every damned thread in negative remarks and hostility?

Get a fscking room for chrissakes.

Manaheim, don't let these loathsome creatures hell-bent on crapping all over everyone else's work get to you.

It's the only effective way for pathetic, subpar photographers to get better...by tearing everyone else down. God forbid they put the same efforts into improving their craft as they do when typing out their immensely clever "criticism" and follow-up retorts.

jamesbjenkins said:
It's the only effective way for pathetic, subpar photographers to get better...

Nice to know what you think of me.

Straighten things up mate. Its a nice picture so don't ruin it by being lazy. Lol

Good work

Sent from my Galaxy SII using PhotoForum

gsgary said:
You have not met many artist then, most of them look like tramps, i used to live in the artist capitol of the UK StIves Cornwall and most of the top artists are not that bothered about how they look or what people think

I think it's more of a pretentious identity thing. I'm sure they do it so they'll be noticed at the 'struggling artist.' In my experience it's a lot easier to put on plain jeans and a t- shirt than to look trashy.

As an artist, they all care what others think. If that's their 'career', then their whole livelihood depends on others' opinions, and I'm sure that mentality bleeds over into other aspects of their lives

Just my experience with artists and art students (60% are *******s)

Also; why does everyone enjoy getting all self- righteous?

Last edited:
Tilt generally is annoying and unnecessary..weak tool for a lazy mind...something like that...
But..
The tilt works perfectly here IMO...even though tilt is a little *much* in this shot. The tilt shows a lot about the image in this case...shows it was super-candid, the photographer probably was shooting from the hip (as I often do when I am on the street or around a lot of people), and gives movement to the composition.

So...like the tilt...but this image is pretty "tilt heavy"....but I still like it very much.

Fantastic image. I wouldn't change a thing. The tilt gives the photo a flow that is totally lost in the non-tilted version.

...immensely clever "criticism" ...

I like that, and if it was directed at me, then I'll gladly accept credit for it. You seem to have missed all my positive comments whenever I see photographs that are actually good. You have the benefit of reading my criticism (pos or neg) for no extra charge, but if I were to pass on the cost of my education, you would be expected to pay for it. Count your blessings.

gsgary said:
Negative is good at least it provoked a reaction

Heh. True.

Designer said:
I like that, and if it was directed at me, then I'll gladly accept credit for it. You seem to have missed all my positive comments whenever I see photographs that are actually good. You have the benefit of reading my criticism (pos or neg) for no extra charge, but if I were to pass on the cost of my education, you would be expected to pay for it. Count your blessings.

Yes, forgive me, oh great one. I forgot thou art the supreme authority on photography in the universe.

So, baseless arrogant assery is in style in your neck of the woods?

With that attitude, your "education" isn't fit to be used for toilet paper.

I didn't read through all this goop, but I am seeing a lot of "the tilt doesn't work for the same hat it's tilted. Or "IMO the tilt works!!!!!! (coddle)"

I'm not seeing a lot f discourse here, no sense that the critics here have any vocabulary as to why the tilt works or not. Honestly, if the only conclusions you ave are knee jerk reactions based on convention or what merely looks good, then you ought to avoid posting a critique.

Most reactions

Back