All Gimped up but nowhere to go

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive been wonder recently about editing software, up till now I've had Adobe CC and for this past 18 months, because of a bit of an admin screw up I've been able to use this software for free. Anywho that boat has been sunk and Im wondering is there an alternate to CC. Its €12.29 Euro per month here thats $13.63 USD. That would be €147.50 for the year >> $163.50 USD per year.

Im not a pro, I shoot Nikon and use the OS platform and I have other things to pay for is there an alternate that offers the same or near similar results.

If people say Gimp then would I be wrong in saying that can only edit JPGs.

Do you primarily edit raw files or JPEGs?

GIMP is only and RGB raster editor, but it's easy to use GIMP in conjunction with a raw converter. There's no beating LR's DAM capabilities and ease of use overall. However it is very easy to beat LR's image quality output including with free open source software.

You're a MAC user? DarkTable is available for MAC. For Windows RawTherapee and LightZone are free.

There are lots of good and less expensive alternatives. ACDSee is a respectable alternative for far less money and the Pro version has both raw conversion and raster editing together.

The big hangup with GIMP for a long time now is 16 bit file support. Unfortunately in a raster image editor it's still hard to find good software with full 16 bit support. PhotoLine has it but the UI is daunting. GIMP is close and you can download an unstable 16 bit version. I can attest to "unstable."

If you shoot raw and want to avoid Adobe I'd look at either an open source raw converter and then follow-up light tweaking with GIMP if you want to go free or something like ACDSee.

If you're happy spending some more money but just want to avoid the subscription then there are some excellent raw converters at decent prices: PhotoNinja is superb, DX0 is superb, SilkyPix is excellent and Capture One is terrific.

MAC user there's also Affinity which is getting good revues -- I haven't tried it yet.

Joe

GIMP can only natively edit JPEGs and a few other formats (.TIF, .PNG at al).

But you can use other raw editors, then output to GIMP for final touches and those functions your raw editor doesn't provide.

Do you primarily edit raw files or JPEGs?

GIMP is only and RGB raster editor, but it's easy to use GIMP in conjunction with a raw converter. There's no beating LR's DAM capabilities and ease of use overall. However it is very easy to beat LR's image quality output including with free open source software.

You're a MAC user? DarkTable is available for MAC. For Windows RawTherapee and LightZone are free.

There are lots of good and less expensive alternatives. ACDSee is a respectable alternative for far less money and the Pro version has both raw conversion and raster editing together.

The big hangup with GIMP for a long time now is 16 bit file support. Unfortunately in a raster image editor it's still hard to find good software with full 16 bit support. PhotoLine has it but the UI is daunting. GIMP is close and you can download an unstable 16 bit version. I can attest to "unstable."

If you shoot raw and want to avoid Adobe I'd look at either an open source raw converter and then follow-up light tweaking with GIMP if you want to go free or something like ACDSee.

If you're happy spending some more money but just want to avoid the subscription then there are some excellent raw converters at decent prices: PhotoNinja is superb, DX0 is superb, SilkyPix is excellent and Capture One is terrific.

MAC user there's also Affinity which is getting good revues -- I haven't tried it yet.

Joe

I shoot in raw normally there wouldn't be much point in that if I used Gimp would there?

I know there is alternates to LR but finding something similar to PS I thought would always lead you back to Photoshop.

My dad has Elements on his PC, I don't know what for really as he doesn't now how to use it, when I opened it first I thought it most work similarly to PS but it seems structural, different even the basic PS sort cuts didn't work. I also found having to change things to DSG files draining.

Would the be the case with any non Adobe software

I shall try your recommendations.

A simple answer would be to get a hold of an oven glove PS version for Mac but everyone I know that would use a such a version uses windows. Id nearly not do it anyway.

Why not use the software that came with your camera to do the 'heavy lifting' of editing raw files, then export a JPEG to use GIMP to polish it off?

Why not use the software that came with your camera to do the 'heavy lifting' of editing raw files, then export a JPEG to use GIMP to polish it off?

Thats View NX I found ok I didn't think of that. I know nikon do a pro NX or something like that would that be better then gimp do you think, I have no idea.

I use Gimp after converting the raw image. When people give me editing advice, it is usually geared towards LR. So I just Google the direction and add Gimp to the end of it. 100% of the time I get a usable guide to do the operation in Gimp. I get stumped on the sub levels of the tools but if your familiar with PS or LR, these should make sense to you. I never have used PS or LR.

I use Gimp after converting the raw image. When people give me editing advice, it is usually geared towards LR. So I just Google the direction and add Gimp to the end of it. 100% of the time I get a usable guide to do the operation in Gimp. I get stumped on the sub levels of the tools but if your familiar with PS or LR, these should make sense to you. I never have used PS or LR.

Fibber. Liar. All the PS and LR snobs know GIMP doesn't to anything. Well, maybe you can crop with it, but nothing else. That's why it's called GIMP.
jester.gif

Seriously, after figuring GIMP out, I never once have felt the need to pony up for PS or LR. I use Capture NX2 to edit the .NEFs, then use GIMP to tweak it.

I now use LR and Photoshop Elements 14. You can get the pair (make sure you get the desktop versions) for well under $300. I have GIMP 2.0, and ON1 but do not use them as much. One reason for Elements is that for $12 you can buy a 3rd party addon that gives almost 75% of a full PS, also you get the full use of the now free NIK filter package...which is invaluable. Also if you buythe Adobe crap be sure and upgrade (it is free) that gives you the good stuff especilly in LR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back