All my equipment to date - What next?

I see you a Canon boy.

So what next ?

Time to join the Big Boys Club, sell the T3i get the Canon 6D!!!

Is this a hobby?
I agree, new body. Something that has more potential. But, it might be smart to pay off old debt first....

So I figured it's time for me to start really investing in some more equipment. I'm looking at paying off my current credit card purchases and buying more about christmas time, but for the time being, here's everything I have currently. For anyone who's followed me at all. June 1, 2013 marked my first anniversary of having a DSLR. What should I get next? What should I sell, keep, buy, etc?

Sounds like you just WANT more stuff. Unless you can actually express what you need a new peace of photography gear for then YOU DON'T NEED IT.

The whole just wanting more gear is why you have a pile of credit card debt.

To be fair, I'm 20, I started building credit in January, and while I have plenty of cash to cover any and all my purchases, I place them on my cards (which have meager a $500 and $800 limit respectively). I pay each card off within two months using the no interest financing that's available. I used my amazon card a couple months back to buy my lights, and I just use it now to buy batteries, filters, etc. My best buy card I used the other day to pay a portion of my 70-200mm because I didn't want to pull the full $1600 out of the account when I could easily justify pulling $1000 and putting the rest on the card, and paying it off completely on pay day.

I feel I expressed above why I wanted what I wanted. I don't have any decent glass to get wider angles. It really hampers me when it comes to weddings, senior portraits, baby shoots, etc. Anything that is an enclosed space, especially indoors, I'm really limited. I really would like something super wide angle ~8-16mm to be more able to capture some more creative shots, and use it for interior advertising shots (realestate). I also am feeling some limitations of my crop body (not true focal length on lenses, high iso noise, slow continuous speed, less fine tuning, lower quality images).

I do little jobs here and there, and I'd like to turn it into a productive business, but I'm tired of turning down certain shoots due to feeling inadequate for the job.

I guess we can assume that you're not going to take the LOGICAL next step--ditch all the play toys and buy some REAL camera gear. Like a Nikon. :lmao:

Seriously--It sounds to me like you really have a pretty solid idea of where you'd like to go next.
Better camera body, quality wide-angle, quality long lens over 300mm, ND filter and reflectors. Now it's just time to prioritize and decide which comes first.
Overread's suggestion to sell both the 55-250 and the 75-300 and replace them with something (I don't know about Canon TC's so I'll take his word for that suggestion) seems like a stellar idea.

EDIT: And yeah, do NOT go into debt for ANY of it. Camera gear is not worth that.

You can "build credit" by simply buying on the card and then paying off said card IMMEDIATELY. The last thing I'm going to say about money is listen to Dave Ramsey.

I do little jobs here and there, and I'd like to turn it into a productive business, but I'm tired of turning down certain shoots due to feeling inadequate for the job.

So just build into your prices the cost of renting good glass.

If you want to turn photography into a business, then investing in business classes in school will do you MUCH more good then investing in gear.

Luckily my degree I'm going for is 50% business courses, so I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Guys, if he isn't paying any interest on his credit (paying it off before any is due), then that's not a problem. In fact, it is HELPING him to build credit, whereas paying in cash would not, making it easier to get a loan later for a house or a business, etc., when loans are actually needed/useful. Credit is only a problem if you can't pay it off almost immediately.

Anyway, as for gear: You have a pretty good spread. If you insist on buying more, options:

1) The teleconverter idea in exchange for your two lesser tele zooms is a great idea, and you may even come out making money on that.

2) For wide angle, either you are going to:
2A) Switch to a full frame, and then I suggest you buy an old manual 20ish mm or something, which will be the equivalent of a 12.5mm on your current body. This would be $2000 for the 6D + the old glass, for example (or another $200+ for Canon modern 20mm glass), then maybe $600 back for selling your T3i + your 18-55 (can't use on a full frame) = $1400 upgrade, and you'll get wide angle ability + 2-3 stops extra in ISO performance and way Way WAY better ergonomics/automation/convenience features.
2B) If you are going to stick with your T3i for a long time, buy a Sigma 10-20mm. Fantastic value/$, virtually as good as the Canon equivalent for vastly less money. However, cannot be used on full frame effectively. ~$400 upgrade to wide angle capability.

3) Books. Buy $100 worth of well-rated books that cover whatever areas of photography you feel least expert about, and this will probably do more to improve your photography than the above will.

4) Your lighting equipment is a little poor, since you mentioned being interested in portraiture. No reflectors or softboxes, nothing to hold stuff up, no backdrops or anything, etc.

Guys, if he isn't paying any interest on his credit (paying it off before any is due), then that's not a problem. In fact, it is HELPING him to build credit, whereas paying in cash would not, making it easier to get a loan later for a house or a business, etc., when loans are actually needed/useful. Credit is only a problem if you can't pay it off almost immediately.

Anyway, as for gear: You have a pretty good spread. If you insist on buying more, options:

1) The teleconverter idea in exchange for your two lesser tele zooms is a great idea, and you may even come out making money on that.

2) For wide angle, either you are going to:
2A) Switch to a full frame, and then I suggest you buy an old manual 20ish mm or something, which will be the equivalent of a 12.5mm on your current body. This would be $2000 for the 6D + the old glass, for example (or another $200+ for Canon modern 20mm glass), then maybe $600 back for selling your T3i + your 18-55 (can't use on a full frame) = $1400 upgrade, and you'll get wide angle ability + 2-3 stops extra in ISO performance and way Way WAY better ergonomics/automation/convenience features.
2B) If you are going to stick with your T3i for a long time, buy a Sigma 10-20mm. Fantastic value/$, virtually as good as the Canon equivalent for vastly less money. However, cannot be used on full frame effectively. ~$400 upgrade to wide angle capability.

3) Books. Buy $100 worth of well-rated books that cover whatever areas of photography you feel least expert about, and this will probably do more to improve your photography than the above will.

4) Your lighting equipment is a little poor, since you mentioned being interested in portraiture. No reflectors or softboxes, nothing to hold stuff up, no backdrops or anything, etc.

I have 2 24in Cowboy studio softboxes, as well as 2 impact convertible shoot-through/reflective umbrellas.. I also have 2 backdrops 10x20' one black, one white, and stands to match.

Well looking at that set, that 70-200 mk II is out of place and you probably don't need it. Tell you what I'll do. I'll meet you at the Mcd's on the turnpike between OKC-Tulsa and I'll pay your gas and you give it to me ;)

Oh and what's the debate, either the 5d mark II or III.

Haha, Ron I managed to get that lens by sheer luck. No way I can get rid of it ;). By the way, my truck only gets 4mpg, so gas alone would be quite costly ;)
I would sell the truck, camera, and all the lenses except the 50 and the 70-200. Invest in a good body, some better lenses, and a bicycle. Oh, and the go with the Mark III since you will be saving so much money on gas.

I still recommend at least an el cheapo 5-N-1 reflector kit, especially if you're shooting subjects in the open sun or deep shade and even more so if you're doing portraits. Most novices overlook the benefit they give. Here's a couple of examples to emphasize their effect. Camera settings were the same pre and post for each shot. The actual subject is not important as you will discover. These were test shots.

Without Reflector (Under exposed)
i-zk5XkG8-XL.jpg

With Reflector
i-27jvXwq-XL.jpg

Without Difusser (Over exposed)
i-fMGtZ44-XL.jpg

With Difusser
i-dMC3gBK-XL.jpg

Still under exposed you say? Try adding some Fill flash to the mix.
i-HjN2wf7-XL.jpg

They will either add punch to the subject or will soften the light. Well worth the small investment IMO. However, if you want to go top shelf, check out Lastolite's TriGrip series of reflectors/difussers.

I still recommend at least an el cheapo 5-N-1 reflector kit, especially if you're shooting subjects in the open sun or deep shade and even more so if you're doing portraits. Most novices overlook the benefit they give. Here's a couple of examples to emphasize their effect. Camera settings were the same pre and post for each shot. The actual subject is not important as you will discover. These were test shots.

Without Reflector (Under exposed)
i-zk5XkG8-XL.jpg

With Reflector
i-27jvXwq-XL.jpg

Without Difusser (Over exposed)
i-fMGtZ44-XL.jpg

With Difusser
i-dMC3gBK-XL.jpg

Still under exposed you say? Try adding some Fill flash to the mix.
i-HjN2wf7-XL.jpg

They will either add punch to the subject or will soften the light. Well worth the small investment IMO. However, if you want to go top shelf, check out Lastolite's TriGrip series of reflectors/difussers.

Cool demo, thanks for posting.

Yeah, when I first got into this I was dating a girl who had a nice 5-in-1 reflector and I thought it looked like a stupid, useless, overpriced circle-type thing. Then I screwed around with it for 10 minutes one day and became a life-long believer. One of the bigger ah-ha moments I've had in my short hobbyist journey.

Should I be fine with a reflector disk, or should I get one of the massive, standup rectangular ones?

Should I be fine with a reflector disk, or should I get one of the massive, standup rectangular ones?
No reflector? Oh my. Just kidding. I love my reflector. Just get one of the round ones to start off with. I only use my huge rectangular one when I shoot bigger families. A reflector is the cheapest and most valuable tool in my kit.

Most reactions

Back