All rounder lens needed for traveling

homer911

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like some advice on a lens for travelling. Mainly for landscapes/cityscapes and portraits.

I was thinking of the canon 17-40mm L, maybe a bit too $$$. Or the cheaper sigma 24-70mm EX.

Any body with the right info out there.:)

Cheers

I'd say if you're on 35mm or a full frame sensor your better bet would be the 24-70.
If you're using something with a focal length factor then the 17-40 may be more useful.
Ideally I'd want to carry more than one lens but if you're limited to one then it kind of depends on what camera you have.

I have the Sigma 27-70 in the Canon flavor. I have not had a chance to give it a full work out. It's a good lens as far as I can tell. Not quite as wide as I would like it.

You might consider the Tamron 18-200. Not great in any one aspect. But very good through out most. Unless your going poster sized print outs. I think it would be the optimum lens for travel for those not wanting to carry a bag full of lenses.

For whatever it’s worth…

My favorite all around lens is a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR. Not sure if Tamron builds an equivalent, but surely Canon does.

Most reactions

Back