All Time Favorite "Canon" Lens?

I hear a LOT about the 135L everywhere I go! Wish I could afford one. Maybe next year! And I also have the 17-55 on my crop 7D and love this lens! Like stated above, really nice, crisp colors indoors or out! And the IS is great for my ever-shaky hands!

For me it is the 70-200 f2.8 - very versatile - I shot a lot of bball games with that and the 24-70 L2.8. That one is a close second!

It is a little strange because my favorites don't get much use. The 70-200 F4L is II my favorite. For those that don't need the speed and hate the weight of the 2.8, you should try the F4. #2 would be the 100 mm 2.8L is II macro. No experience using them on a FF but tempted to find out along with the Sigma 1.4 ART. Dang, never should have put that in my head.

I blame you Snerd [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh! I did forget my 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro!! At one point last year, it's all I used for about 2 months! Macro, portraits, whatever, sharp as a tack!!

Oh! I did forget my 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro!! At one point last year, it's all I used for about 2 months! Macro, portraits, whatever, sharp as a tack!!

That was on my list but since I only got to use one for minutes I didn't pick it.

Canon just makes such better glass IMO. Nikon should've deopped the f mount.

I'm not sure of the capabilities of each one.......... you can put Canon glass on Nikon, but not Nikon glass on Canon? Or neither? Or both?

So I do own the EF 135mm f/2L USM and it's an amazing lens... but I find myself grabbing the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (I have the original... not the "II") more often -- mostly for versatility. I just can't bring myself to drop the coin to upgrade my original 70-200 for the "II" (even though I know the II is better... the original is hardly lacking.)

Currently I have:
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM <- love this lens -- most heavily used and probably my favorite
EF 14mm f/2.8L USM II
TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
EF 135mm f/2L USM <- love this lens even though I don't use very often
EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM <- love this lens even though I don't use it very often

So far I'm exceptionally pleased with all my lenses.
I previously owned:
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM (I really liked that lens but have no need of it since I don't have any APS-C bodies other than my astrophotography body)
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II (That lens was optically surprisingly better than I expected considering it's an entry level low-performing lens.)
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 II (This lens was a disappointment. I was never happy with the image quality.)

I'm not sure of the capabilities of each one.......... you can put Canon glass on Nikon, but not Nikon glass on Canon? Or neither? Or both?

You can't easily put Canon glass on a Nikon. The issue is the "flange to focal plane distance". Nikon is 46.5mm but Canon is 44mm. This means the Canon lens wants to be CLOSER to the sensor than the mounting flange on the front of a Nikon body will allow... you'd need to mill off 2.5mm of the body to put the lens at the optimum performing distance. To go the other way (Nikon glass on Canon) you just need to shim the lens out 2.5mm an you're there.

I suppose you could fit a Canon lens onto a Nikon body anyway... but it would behave as though you put it on a shallow extension tube. Focus distances would be shifted and the lens likely wouldn't properly focus out to infinity.

Canon? This is probably the only truly useful one I have ever seen!

I have this lense as well, very useful.
PS Oh, no. Mine is 28-135 II USM Supersonic
True "Canon" lense

Canon_Tea_Cup.jpg

Last edited:
The one I use most by far is the 24-105 f/4 L IS. It really is my go-to lens unless I need to do something more special, like macro or long telephoto or super wide angle work.

Take your pick. Not complaining about any of them. Canon or otherwise...
i-32WpXdq-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back