Alternative input devices?

Mendoza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It occurred to me when I was using my mouse to fine-tune one of the 15(?) sliders in Photomatix how greatly a device that actually contained a series of physical sliders or knobs or dials would facilitate the process. If you've seen any audio mixing-type equipment, this is the sort of thing I'm referring to.
I know what a lot of you are probably thinking: "Preposterous! Unnecessary! How awkward such a thing would be! The mouse is perfectly adequate!" Yes the mouse is perfectly adequate, but surely there is or at least could exist an alternative for such purposes which would be even better than the mouse. There are joysticks, trackballs, and drawing tablets, but none of those really fit the bill in this case.
Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the subject?

Yes, I agree strongly. A mechanical, analogue interface would be pretty handy for some types of computer work. It would also allow simultaneous shifting or adjustments to be made on two parameters; anybody can turn two knobs or move two sliding controls at the same time,either in the same direction or in opposite directions--using the mouse however, one has to adjust one control a bit, then the other,then the other, continually alternating between one parameter and the second parameter under adjustment.

It'd be kind of neat to have a small USB plug-in device that had some mechanical or analogue-style buttons, or dials, or slider, or maybe all three. A button or two would be handy to switch rapidly,back and forth between say a filter applied at 50% and one applied at 25%, to be able to see which effect one prefers.

I guess as multi-touch interface hits the market, it may create a different kind ways for us to interact with the computer especially on photo/video editing.

I can't think of the name of it...but I remember seeing a device that was basically a round dial. The idea being that you had the mouse in one hand and this dial in the other. Might be good for applications where you don't use the keyboard frequently.

I can't think of the name of it...but I remember seeing a device that was basically a round dial. The idea being that you had the mouse in one hand and this dial in the other. Might be good for applications where you don't use the keyboard frequently.

I believe you are referring to the "shuttle", "shuttlexpress" or "shuttle pro" They are made by Contour designs.....

Mainly used for A/V applications but are fully programmable for any app/feature you want including presets already out there for CS. I used to use one with cake walk and premiere pro....awesome devices but a little funky to customize for different apps.

you *should* be able to control anything like that via a usb device...like sliders. (if im not mistaken.)

a friend of mine, years back, was using 3 midi sliders to control the mouth and eyes of a 3d model in 3D studio max...

3D Studio max is an incredibly expandable program with a very powerful scripting language beneath it allowing it to be nearly anything a 3D artist wants it to be. Photomatix is a very basic small program who's soul purpose is to generate and tonemap HDR images.

Realistically unless your input device emulates a key press, scroll wheel, or mouse movement it's unlikely to be easily usable with any program. Especially if you want something like different knobs for different sliders (a knob for the currently selected slider is so basic I could build one).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back