Am I missing something?

timfrommass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Are these the same lenses? I'm going to be ordering one and I have an amazon prime membership for free 2 day shipping. Just want to make sure I haven't overlooked a reason why I shouldn't buy the choice for $289

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-250mm-3-5-6-3-Di-II-Aspherical/dp/B00125XA36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273183187&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon DSLR: Electronics[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-250mm-3-5-6-3-Aspherical-Digital/dp/B000IBI3YQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273183204&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Tamron 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 AF Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

-tim

No, they are not the same. The two lenses have different manufacturer's item numbers because the newer, slightly more-expensive model has the BIM or built-in focusing motor for the "baby Nikon" models D40,D40x,D60,D3000,and D5000.

The earlier version did not have the built-in focusing motor for the baby Nikon models.

Oh thank you! I have a D90 so that is not of any importance to me. Should there be any difference in the optical quality of the two?

-tim

I would assume the two lenses are optically identical. I don't know if you could find any side-by-side comparison of the screw-driver focusing model versus the BIM model. In a similar example, the 28-75 f/2.8 Tamron was/is also available in an older screw-driver focusing model and a newer BIM model; with that lens, the older, screwdriver focusing model has NOTABLY FASTER autofocusing than the BIM model, as odd as that sounds...and that is the consensus of virtually every user and tester who has compared the two variants of the 28-75. I'm not sure though if that holds true with this particular lens design though...

I think proper assembly and lens element centering would be more important than slight design differences, meaning that sample variation from one lens to another within the same design would probably be a bigger factor in quality than the difference between the screwdriver model and the BIM focusing model. I would test out the new lens and see how good it is and if it is a "good sample" once you get it.

Most reactions

Back