Am I ready

cletusjermal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im kinda curious if i am ready to start selling photos. Here are what i think are my best so far.
Let me know what you think.

lakesunsetfishinghutFinal.jpg

072-TU_3-TU_4-TU_HDRJPEG.jpg

OrangesunriseFinal.jpg

TreelakesunriseCroppedFinish.jpg

Bambicropped-1.jpg

Housecropped.jpg

WoodBarnHDR-1.jpg

OilPump.jpg

_MG_4213-1.jpg

_MG_0859_60_61_HDR-JPEG-1.jpg

I think the best way to determine 'if you're ready' (blah) is to look at what other people in your area are doing. How does your art measure up? What is unique?

These pictures are decent, but not interesting enough for me to want to purchase any of them. Why?

1-2 seem unbalanced. Too much on the right, not enough on the left. I also personally dislike landscape shots without a foreground/middleground/background. I like to see depth.
4 is not interesting; no texture on the tree; colors are muted and dull, looks soft.
5 is ok. someone might buy it.
6-7 are just ... whatever. buildings. nothing new, fresh or different about them.
8. is ok, but unbalanced; the bright color on the left instantly draws the eye and pulls me out of the frame because, oops!, it's on the edge of the frame. hate when that happens.
9. seen it a million times. tired of trains. background is a mess. subject is probably 1/50 of the image.

#1-4 The Orton Effect is cool, but be careful as it, like other techniques has suffered from over use. At least, these look like Ortons, they could just be soft focus. With landscape photography, sharpness is key, though Orton can make for some pretty neat landscapes as well. These are all pretty shots. Compositionally, not much to comment on. Just think about the Orton/soft focus thing.

#5 - Harsh overhead sunlight. It's cool to see a fawn, unfortunately, the time of day/weather was not your friend. An overcast day, or a shot around sunrise/sunset would have made this much better. Eyes are key to great wildlife shots, and due to the lighting, all you see are two black spots where eyes should be. Focus seems good, and the pose of the animal is great, however. Just be mindful of the lighting.

#6 - Doesn't really do anything for me. Subject is too centered. If the house had been moved to the right, and the horizon moved down a smidge, it would have really made for a nice photo.

#7 - I really like this one. Unfortuantely, the sky is blah. Nothing you can do about that except re-shoot. Very nice in all other respects, however.

#8 - The sky is spectacular in this shot. I like the sillouette of the oil pump. I'm wondering if cutting off a good chunk of the black bar on the bottom would help this shot. I don't say this often also, but this might be a good candidate for an HDR. Just go easy on the processing.

#9 - Risking life, limb and camera for a shot? I wouldn't have, but good on ya for trying. :) It's a neat perspective that you really don't see often. Without the train, it would look like a cliche "camera on the railroad track" picture, but the slightly OOF train in the background gives a sense of danger and excitement. If you were to try this again, a couple suggestions. I hold no responsibility for any damage to body or property for trying these. ;) It might look better from the center of the track instead of the side. In addition, although I'm sure this is easier said than done, a better focal point. There really isn't much in focus except a sliver of random ground somewhere in front of the camera. In this shot, the billboard (which looks to me like Jesus preaching...kinda appropriate given the dangerous nature of the shot, lol) might look good in focus, or maybe the bridge. Those are just some thoughts.

#10 - Might be worth bumping up the contrast and saturation a tiny bit in this one. I can't pinpoint it, but something just seems wrong with this shot. Also, the horizon is slightly leaning to the left, I think. Though, that could just be an illusion from the pier. Might be a tad underexposed as well. Might be worth playing around with this shot in your editing program.

All in all, nice work. Keep it up, and I look forward to seeing more work from you. :)

#9 - Risking life, limb and camera for a shot? I wouldn't have, but good on ya for trying. :)

I actually remember the thread that was posted in, he mentioned that the train was traveling away from him and not towards him :p

Are you ready to start selling your work? Well.... tough question. I guess it all depends if someone's really interested enough in buying your shots. It's hard to get a general answer from the forum, but go for it. Worst case scenario, you keep shooting and get some really awesome shots!

It all depends if people wanna buy them. I like them, but it doesnt mean that everyone else will.

If people buy, you are ready to sell.

If people don't buy, you're not ready to sell.

Not sure you're asking the right question... I've seen some real crap sell - and in my opinion, you have a good eye, as well as some decent processing skills.. I think the correct question should be ... "How" should I sell my pictures.. Even if you had 100 responses to this post, and all of them extremely positive, you're still gonna have to answer this question.. and it's one that challanges every photographer out here...

Website - not too many people go to a private website and put out bucks for a photograph anymore.. too many on the web that they can just download..

Stock photo sales - sure, go ahead and take pennies on the dollar - 'if' you ever sell one..

Shows/Farmers Markets .. - An acquantance of mine - a 'decent' landscape photographer, set up a tent at a farmers market.. After 3 weekends of no sales at all, sold a 24x36 landscape on 'metal' photograph for $8,000. There was nobody more stunned than himself. - Can it happen? - just did... but don't count on it to ever happen again..

Photo sales these days are tough... Anyone with a Point n' shoot and Gimp, and has a little better than average skills can produce a beautiful photograph .. "Marketing" is a skill in itself, and probably more important than the product..

Just a thought...

I really love number 3 I see the beauty of that shot........ I would buy it if I was in the market. I see lots of ppl sell lots of prints that are matted and/or framed at craft fairs.

I really love number 3 I see the beauty of that shot........ I would buy it if I was in the market. I see lots of ppl sell lots of prints that are matted and/or framed at craft fairs.

What part of louisiana are you in. If your near shreveport they have the Red River Revel this weekend.

Shows/Farmers Markets .. - An acquantance of mine - a 'decent' landscape photographer, set up a tent at a farmers market.. After 3 weekends of no sales at all, sold a 24x36 landscape on 'metal' photograph for $8,000....
He had a 24 x 36 printed on metal, priced at $8,000, and someone walked up and bought it?

Shows/Farmers Markets .. - An acquantance of mine - a 'decent' landscape photographer, set up a tent at a farmers market.. After 3 weekends of no sales at all, sold a 24x36 landscape on 'metal' photograph for $8,000....
He had a 24 x 36 printed on metal, priced at $8,000, and someone walked up and bought it?

It was the only print he had on metal .... quite impressive if you've ever seen one... It was the only photo without a price on it. The guy's wife just fell in love with it and begged her husband to get it .... husband asked what the price was and Adrian just said... "Make me an offer' ... The offer was incredible...

I asked Adrian if he played with the offer a little :mrgreen: and he said he could barely speak ... All he could say was ... "Oh, OK"..

However, my point to the OP is that although this stuff happens, you certainly couldn't count of buying lunch with the proposed profit from a Farmers Market booth...

XCuse me .... I have to go and find that woman with the oblidging husband.. I have a 16x20 on metal that I think they'd like... Papa needs a new Vette.... :lol:

What are you ready for??? they are some beautiful shots there I'm not sure if your looking for c&c or exactly what you are looking for. I personally think that you can always learn more and always improve your photography in one way or another or see about doing things differently to see about different looks

Most reactions

Back