Amateur looking for advice of which Studio Strobes to buy

iammachine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm an amateur photographer with an even more amateur studio set up and I need some advice on which strobes to buy. I'm a graphic designer who started getting more into photography a few years ago so I could document my work, this basically means mostly flat print pieces on a table in the studio. I've been using a cheap continuous lighting system because when I started I didn't know anything about lighting and the idea of using strobes was a little too intimidating at the time, but now I'm thinking about stepping up my game and going for it. I don't need anything professional (nor do I have that kind of money to spend), but I still want it to be capable of working well in a small studio set up and be something I could use to experiment with other types of photos (my friends keep asking me to take portraits of them because "I know stuff about cameras").

I found two different strobes that I think could work, but there isn't a ton of information or reviews out there on these since they aren't professional. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me your opinion on whether one is better than the other or if there's a better strobe out there at a similar price. Also, if you have a recommendation for a cheap but good trigger that would be great to hear as well.

Option 1: PBL 300W/S Strobe $160
Amazon.com : PHOTOGRAPHY STUDIO FLASH STROBE LIGHTING KIT 300 W/S with GRID SOFTBOX by PBL : Photographic Monolights : Camera & Photo

Pros: Comes with a cheap stand and 30" softbox with grid
Cons: only 300W/S while other light is 400

Option 2: Sqaure Pefect 400W/S $120
Square Perfect 400W/S SP400A Strobe / Flash Head Photography Studio Lighting - Newegg.com

Pros: potentially the stronger light source, and cheaper
Cons: no accessories

Thanks for all your help

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm looking at upgrading my strobes, I'll PM you details about my old ones and I'll make you a deal :)

If you're in the US, then Adorama's Flashpoint Line is a very well regarded consumer grade line of gear which includes all sorts of lights, accessories, and triggers! Don't get caught up in the output; my monolights are only 250 w/s each, and my main light, a Speedotron 5 light pack & head system uses and 800 w/s power-pack divided between up to 5 heads! In both cases I almost never use them above 2/3 or 3/4 power.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back