Amateur needing lots of feedback :P

ksven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well. This is the first time I've ever used a 35mm canon rebel. And im not to thrilled with how the pictures I took came out.:confused: Hearing adivce and tips to make them better would be great. I still have a longgg way to go until I get good, professional looking pictures. thanks.

Dial up is really slow. So im only putting up four. Pathetic, huh? :lol:

Dec071.jpg

Dec076.jpg

Dec075.jpg

Dec073.jpg

Bump.

p.s. The camera im using is a canon eos rebel II with a 35-105mm lens.

Im getting another lens next month, any suggestions?
feedback would be nice. :]

hm. 37 views and no help yet. :/
maybe i should change the title to
free money.
or something of that nature.

If it makes you feel any better I'm having the same poor luck on the nature/landscapes board.....and it's making me feel awful. I would help you, but I am equally as new.....

Free money? Sign me up. Don't be discouraged about the views or non responses. It happens.

#1 - The highlights are overexposed and makes it hard to see what your subject is. The refraction of the icicle on the wall is interesting. Perhaps you could have concentrated on that.

#2 - The tree truncks are lacking detail (could be intentional) but the tangle of tree limbs doesn't give my eyes anything to focus on or want to travel through the image.

#3 - As an abstract, this works pretty well. I think your color balance might need tweaking though.

#4 - The sunrise blow out all the detail in the lower left which is likely why there is not much detail on the right.

Be mindful of where to meter your shot for correct exposure and how you compose.

Keep taking lots and lots of photos. Concentrate on composition and exposure. Have fun, ask loads of question and keep posting your results. Good luck.

Thanks. Im still learning about the meters and all that good stuff.

ksven-
hello and welcome aboard.

first i am NOT an expert here. there are many others here who are way better than i am.

look on amazon.com for a book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I highly recommend it as will many others.

Being a film user ( i assume you are since you said "35mm rebel") you are at somewhat of a disadvantage to a DSLR user because you don't get the "instant report" on how your photo turned out. I too started with film and it didn't take me long to see the advantages of digital.
Advantages like:
-The learning curve being tipped in your favor by the instant report.
-You can shoot all day and night for free.
-Make a bad exposure? no problem. just delete it and shoot again.
-Want to see how it would look in b&w? no problem. just change the parameters. or vice versa.
and many many others.

Film is alot cheaper to get into but harder to learn. many variables can affect film that are not easy to correct on the jobsite. even the film that you use can have an impact on your photo. film speed, film type,lab, etc all play a part in your photo. this is why it is VERY important that you read Understanding Exposure.

Photography is about many technical things. it is also about interpretation of a subject. if 10 of us all went and shot the same flower, you could quite possibly see ten different "takes" of that same flower under the same conditions. no one is right and no one is wrong. it's just our individual 'takes" of how the subject should be represented and how the story should be told.

TIP: for now try shooting in "automatic" modes until you become more familiar with your camera.

Remember this: no photographer shoots 100 pictures and has 100 keepers. most of them will be crap.

Good luck and keep shooting!!! :D

ps- if you need more detailed help, i will try

Ksven - suggest picking up the book titled "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Really a must-have.

something else......
don't get discouraged and don't give up!

you have chosen to make an investment in not only equipment but more importantly an investment in the creative side of you.

TIP: try taking the shot from different angles and watch how the light falls on the subject. would the shot look better in the morning? the evening? at a low angle? at a high angle? from the south? from the north? etc.

learn the rules of photography and then break those rules!

keep shooting and keep posting :D

I have a 35mm canon rebel K2, no digital. And I'll tell you that you aren't at a disadvantage learning from someone using a digital. So don't worry about equipment :er:.

Just think about everything you are doing. Especially try and experiment--the scientific way that is. Isolate something you want to work with. Angles was a good suggestion, try and go for 'easier' circumstances light highlight and good weather. Flowers and parks can be a good way to learn about depth of field.

We all know that film is expensive, and you didn't say which kind you are using. But in my experience Kodak Gold is great for casual shooting and only like $10 for 5 rolls.

I think the biggest part of learning though is not being afraid and going to places that are picturesque. Check the news, local sites. Festivals of any kind are good places. Ballooning, hiking, do something where you can see the shot in your head and not trying to pull for something that isn't really there... makes sense? i'm tired :lol:

#3 is the only thing I can distinguish. I like it.

The rest are iffy for me, just out of focus all over and over exposed, but that is just my opinion. I am sure here are those that think the same of my shots. To each their own.

Keep on shooting.

i am not familiar with the 35mm rebel but it looks like to me you are not focusing at all or you have really bad shaking. i kno with my DSLR i push the shutter button down half way to focus and then all the way down to take the picture. the last picture u posted looks like you focused on the tree trunk but it looks under exposed.

Well, one little bit of help I am trying to give you by moving your post WITH PHOTOS out of The Beginners' Place and into the General Gallery, since you want comments and critique on your PHOTOS, and are not asking a simple question.

The Beginners' Place is a Q&A-forum for questions any newcomer to the hobby might have.

The galleries are open for ANYONE. Newcomers to the forums. Beginners to this wonderful pasttime. Seasoned amateur photographers, professional photographers, long standing members of TPF. Just everyone. OK?

You are shooting film wich means you are also scanning an image to digitalize, Correct?

How are you scanning ? Negitive or flatbedding the print?

Judging by what I can see I have to assume you are placing the prints into a flatbed scanner and scanning them. Am I correct in this assumption?

What scanner are you using?

Doing it this way you loose twenty five to thirty percent of your color saturation and also requires a little bit of USM to get close to the prints quality (from my experiance).

It is very clear you are working on learning how to work with the meter and shutter speeds as all the images appear to be either over exposed or under exposed and yet I can see the shutter speed was adjusted. This is good, it shows that you are trying to figure it out.

TIP: for any shot using a shutter speed less than 1/30 (the lower the number the longer the shutter is open) use a tripod or some stable surface to place the camera on to eliminate shake.

I use a Canon EF (wich is drastically outdated in comparison to your camera body) So I am un able to help you understand your meter as I don't know how it is displayed in the camera, but from here it would appear you may be reading it ok and just metering spots that are not the best for the overall image, but I can't be sure untill I know how you got them on the computer.

Most reactions

Back