Amateur needing suggestions for a good camera with manual controls

Penguin88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I am an art student and have enjoyed attempting photography for years now. I don't know much about cameras or settings or any of the lingo (although I'd like to learn), but I love taking a subject and trying to come up with interesting shots and compositions. I feel great satisfaction when I can capture an image "just right". I have only ever owned point-and-shoots which I am finding very disappointing and limiting with the general lack of manual controls. If it were up to me, I'd opt to learn to do everything manually. I would love to own a DSLR and learn to take advantage of all the possibilities and versatility there, but it's just not in my budget right now, my being a poor student and all.

Basically, I am looking for a camera in an affordable price range that will serve my purposes better. I'd actually prefer one that is a year or two old and would be available to be purchased used somewhere. Can someone help out a newbie? Any info or advice will be like gold to me. I like to do a lot of macro shots and shots in low-light, so I'd like good customization and performance in these areas. I'd like manual focus (is this available on point and shoots?) and manual controls over light settings (ISO? shutter settings? forgive my ignorance) and hopefully even white balance. I don't like to use flash, I don't like to NEED flash. Good level of optical zoom is important and so is good image stabilization. If it's even possible to change out lenses on a point and shoot that would be an awesome feature as well.

Am I expecting too much out of a point and shoot? I just can't afford a DSLR right now and I don't know if there are any options between the two. I would love a DSLR but am looking for the next-best-thing at an affordable price. I am sure I am expecting too much here, but if anyone can suggest some solid cameras that meet at least some of my preferences I'd appreciate it greatly. Low-end cost-wise DSLR's will be looked into as well although I am sure I will be unable to purchase one in the near future. I don't need gimmicks or bells and whistles, just a solid camera.

Sorry for being so verbose, I appreciate your time and feedback. I'm including links to a few photos I have taken on my crappy point-and-shoots so you can see what I'm into.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/luvluvluvluvluv/Photography/photography1.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/luvluvluvluvluv/Photography/photography4.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/luvluvluvluvluv/Photography/photography2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/luvluvluvluvluv/Photography/photography3.jpg

I would actually look into getting an older DSLR with a kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8. You'll be sacrificing some of the low-light performance, but it'd be a better start, in my opinion.

It would help the forum a bit if you could indicate what your budget is.

Also, many of the point & shoots have manual capabilities, they may be buried in a menu or as second function of some button or other, so if you could also tell us what specifically what camera you are using now we may be able to help you out a bit.

Note that some of the older dSLR's with kit lens are not terribly expensive anymore. Look in the second hand market for D70, D70s or if budget allows a D200. Canon, Sony, Pentax also have a fair range of older models out and about.

What IS your budget?

Before dSLR, I always had Point&shoot with manual controls, although it's not exactly the same as in dSLR (e.g., aperture is mostly ininfluent, so not much useful to be able to change it manually).
Since you did not state a budget, the last was a Canon SX110is, still doing its job. It also allows to install CHDK, a sort of extended firmware that gives you some extra functions, including RAW.
However, if you want low light, P&S are not the (best) choice, unless you mean long exposure. Or use flash, which is something usually needed in low light.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back