amateur needs help(scenery)

wiken43

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a very amatuer photogragher. I have a panasonic lumix dmc fz5pp camera. I have to edit all of my outdoor landscape pictures using fill light. They are very dark. Looking through the view finder or the LCD screen, they look good, but after transfering them to my computer I have to use the fill light. When I first used the camera I didn't need to do this. I usually use the scene(landscape) mode on the camera to take these pictures. Any suggestions? Also, Is there a free website that can teach me the basics of digital photyograghy? I have a natural ability for finding excellent scenes, but really need help on the technical part of photograghy. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you

First off welcome to the site!
From what you say it sounds like your not getting the exposures that you want when you shoot. I (and many others on the site) would heartily recomend the following book:

Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson

I think that would go a long long way to helping you with your exposure problem as you describe it. Also if you want more specific advice post up and example of one of you shots. Also post the exif info for shutter speed, ISO and aperture used (this can be found in the properties of the photo file - right click on the file - go to properties - then the details tab - scroll down to find the info).

I am a very amatuer photogragher. I have a panasonic lumix dmc fz5pp camera. I have to edit all of my outdoor landscape pictures using fill light. They are very dark. Looking through the view finder or the LCD screen, they look good, but after transfering them to my computer I have to use the fill light. When I first used the camera I didn't need to do this. I usually use the scene(landscape) mode on the camera to take these pictures. Any suggestions?
Have you made any changes to any of the camera settings? Did you change the exposure compensation setting by mistake?
Also, Is there a free website that can teach me the basics of digital photyograghy? I have a natural ability for finding excellent scenes, but really need help on the technical part of photograghy. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you
The Luminous Landscape

Digital Photography School

Digital Photography Basics

Digital Photography Tutorials

PhotoXels - Tutorials

Digital Cameras - A Beginner's Guide

Have you made any changes to any of the camera settings? Did you change the exposure compensation setting by mistake?
That would be the first thing I would check.

Also, maybe your computer monitor has changed (either the settings or just over time). Without knowing if your monitor is accurate, it's hard to really diagnose a problem like this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back