Amateur Photo contest help!

Rosshole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot these on my honeymoon and am going to be submitting them for a contest held by the resort...

Please C & C!! Also, there has been ZERO PP done to any of these.

Thanks in advance for helping out a serious newbie.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

1. Kinda works, but there's really nothing to lead me into the photo. I see the subject then my eyes wander to find something else to look at.

2. Seems a little blurry, did you use a tripod? I'd guess no since you were no your honeymoon... I like the colors but the poles distract from the scene (at least for me).

3. Yep, that's an island. Nothing real 'wow' here...

4. Composition on this one is bad, there's really nothing to look at. I find myself wanting to see what's above that wall or whatever it is.

5. Missed focal point? What I believe is the subject is out of focus.

What said NOYZE ^ said.

Where were these shot? The Keys?

Keep shooting and keep posting.

Joe

1. Kinda works, but there's really nothing to lead me into the photo. I see the subject then my eyes wander to find something else to look at.

2. Seems a little blurry, did you use a tripod? I'd guess no since you were no your honeymoon... I like the colors but the poles distract from the scene (at least for me).

I did use a tripod for thi, but a very cheap and lightwight one (easier for traveling) I don't have the EXIF in front of me, but it was something like a 13 or 20 sec exposure time.

3. Yep, that's an island. Nothing real 'wow' here...

Yes, but it is one of the big selling point of the resort... and that is who the pictures are for.

4. Composition on this one is bad, there's really nothing to look at. I find myself wanting to see what's above that wall or whatever it is.

Hmm... i really liked this one for the old peir being under water... should I crop out the wall maybe?

5. Missed focal point? What I believe is the subject is out of focus.

That is exactly what happened on this one. I was in a spot where I couldn't easily get behind the veiwfinder, so I just eld the camera and fired off a few.

Thanks for the comments!

Hmm... i really liked this one for the old peir being under water... should I crop out the wall maybe?

One explanation I read about being a good photographer is to be able to show someone a photograph and have them really get a feel for what it was like to be there.

That said, I had no idea what you were trying to convey in this photo - let alone there was an old pier under water. Perhaps cropping out the wall would help me focus my attention on the under water pier, if nothing else - really concentrate on what is down there.

I shot these on my honeymoon and am going to be submitting them for a contest held by the resort...

Please C & C!! Also, there has been ZERO PP done to any of these.

Thanks in advance for helping out a serious newbie.

attachment.php

Am I the only one who caught this?

How does this work? Will a tilt-shift lens give you this kind of depth at f22 on a 55mm lens? Or is this actually photoshopped contrary to the OP's statement?

Focal Length: 55.0mm
Aperture: f/22.0

Last edited:
I did use a tripod for thi, but a very cheap and lightwight one (easier for traveling) I don't have the EXIF in front of me, but it was something like a 13 or 20 sec exposure time.

does your lens a VR one? if so did you remember to turn the VR off?

How does this work? Will a tilt-shift lens give you this kind of depth at f22 on a 55mm lens? Or is this actually photoshopped contrary to the OP's statement?
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D5000
Image Date: 2009:10:21 14:14:18
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure Time: 0.040 s (1/25)
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

No, I just shrunk it for upload on my work PC (no PS)

does your lens a VR one? if so did you remember to turn the VR off?

It is the VR lens, I never thought about turning it off. How would this help?

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D5000
Image Date: 2009:10:21 14:14:18
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure Time: 0.040 s (1/25)
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

No, I just shrunk it for upload on my work PC (no PS)

So what kind of lens did you use?

the 18-55 AF-s VR kit lens. I can't recall exaclty wht i was thinking when i shot this specific one because I tried a lot of different settings before getting the best (IMO) exposure out of having the settings this way.

Also, i no very little about photoshop so I don't really even use it at all, yet.

you aren't supposed to use VR with a tripod or you get blur, which is what you are seeing in that picture. this is particularly true given the very long exposure you used. the way i understand it is the lens is still trying to compensate for typical shakiness, but when there is none present it actually ends up adding it's own as it tries to compensate for a non-existent shake.

you aren't supposed to use VR with a tripod or you get blur, which is what you are seeing in that picture. this is particularly true given the very long exposure you used.

Damn it... looks like I am going to have to go back to try it again!

Thanks!

so for the contest i think 2 wouldve been best, but with the blur it is out. 3 is my next choice with some good PP work, but the problem is the stormy looking clouds are not probably what they're after. 1 and 4 couldve been taken anywhere and 5 isnt focused properly.

personally i'd go with 3 but make do some PP work to make it come alive. was it shot in raw?

Most reactions

Back