amazing deal (i think), but can't decide

smartguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i work for a wedding photographer and he is offering me one of his 20d's. He sent it in to canon and it is being cleaned and fixed up as we speak (the shutter went crazy, wouldn't stop going). He is offering me the 20d and a 55-200 lens (but ill be getting my own lenses anyway) for $400 which sounds pretty good to me (im assuming this includes the original accessories).

This sounds great, but for some reason im still a little apprehensive. I was originally going to get a new 30d, but my boss' offer gives me the chance to get another/ a better lens. The 30d will offer me a bigger screen, spot metering, and picture styles (pretty much the only new features id use, for the most part). I guess im just afraid the 20d will die on me or something since he's taken a lot of photos with it.

any input?, thanks

If the shutter dies it's an easy fix. See if you find out the number of actuations it has had. THey are rated between 50k and 75k I believe though I'm not certain and it may be higher.

Well if the shutter was wonky...and he's getting it fixed...hopefully they replace the shutter. If so, I'd grab it up.
However, spot metering would be a pretty nice feature.
Either way you are getting a nice camera...win/win for you.

of course, i hadn't thought of that. the shutter is probably being replaced. thats reassuring. i think ill get the 20d because i really want to get started right away.

is partial metering a good alternative for spot metering?

Buying a used camera from a pro is like buying a used car from a stock car driver.
If you work with him and the camera dies 2 weeks after you get it, how will that affect your working relationship.

if its being repaired and cleaned by canon i have a feeling its going to be close to good as new as far as internal components go.

Buying a used camera from a pro is like buying a used car from a stock car driver.
If you work with him and the camera dies 2 weeks after you get it, how will that affect your working relationship.

my boss is really great, so if the camera were to break soon after he sells it to me, im pretty sure he would give me a little compensation. and with the money ill be saving, if that were to happen, at least i could afford to send it in to canon myself.

"my boss is really great, so if the camera were to break soon after he sells it to me, im pretty sure he would give me...."

If this is important, discuss it with him and don't risk a relationship over unspoken expectations. I sold something used to a co-worker and eight years later he said, "It broke." Sorry to hear that. Well, he expected me to step up and replace it.

Since then, I always specify my intentions when I sell something and my expectations when I buy something.

"the shutter went crazy and wouldn't stop going" - sounds electrical to me, how do you know the shutter will be replaced ? since this is pretty much the only major mechanical moving part in a dslr that actually has a measured lifespan, unlike electronics that can last a minute or 20 years, I'd give it a wide berth.
I mean, if its done its allotted number of actuations and doesn't get changed, just how long is he prepared to finance repairs, short of shutter replacement.
Sounds like trouble to me..

now im not sure again lol

do you guys think i might be better off getting a used 30d from b&h?
they give a 90 day warranty...
does anyone know if they would include the manufacturer's accessories?

i'm selling my 20d for close to that...

Most reactions

Back