Amazing Educator: Clarence A Bach

markjwyatt

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dad passed last year. He was an avid photographer, and got me into photography many years ago. He was a retired high school teacher and taught photography amongst other things. In the 1940s he attended a vocational program for photography run by a guy named Clarence A. Bach.

Clarence A. Bach, a cinematographer previously, started a vocational photography program at Fremont High School (Los Angeles) in the 1920s. It gained a reputation as many famous photojournalists, sports photographers, and war photographers came out of that program. Most of the students had to have a Speed Graphic camera and accessories required to be in the program. At the time my dad attended (~1945) it was over $1000.

Clarence A. Bach was a mentor to my dad. Having two daughters, I like to point out that in the 1940s there were some ladies in his program, as you can see lined up with their Speed Graphics (photo from my dad, Donald Wyatt).

24991167_10214998414343937_3833145868805005322_n.jpg

(If you reproduce this this, please attribute to "Donald J. Wyatt")

Take a look at the article I linked from Sports Illustrated about Clarence A. Bach.
CLARENCE A. BACH

Here is a Time Life tribute to Bach:
LIFE

Last edited:
One very nicely taken photo too.

Thanks (for my dad)! My dad left a lot of images (paper and negatives) that I need to go through and capture digitally. Fortunately, he did use digital for the last 20 years or so, so these I already have.

Most reactions

Back