Amazing sunrise and Snowy Owl today

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well when I checked the NOAA forecast for the NH Seacoast last night, it said mostly clear this morning. I was still about 45 minutes away from the coast- and before sunrise, that I saw the sky already starting to glow red. I wanted to check for this snowy right at sunrise, but I stopped around the corner to photograph these fishing boats

ryeharbor.jpg

Then I went over to where the snowy's been reported, arrived just in time to find it on the rocks near the water in great light. I spent about an hour sitting and watching this owl, and this is a frame from around 8am...plenty more to go through though.

snowy4.jpg

Great job !!!!

I always seem to get them squinting lol

Great job !!!!

I always seem to get them squinting lol

Thanks Bill! Yeah that's why I left by like 8:30 this morning...after that the sun gets so bright they squint a lot. I just missed it catching and eating a duck this morning, would've been awesome

We got started a little late so ours were wearing their breakfast lol

That sunrise is crazy. Love the Snowy and it's contrast with the foreground and background. Sweetness!

Thanks man! The last few weeks have been pretty rainy and dreary here, not much shooting. Plus the last few trips I've made to the coast looking for owls (about hour 1/2 drive) I've come home empty handed. Nice to finally have a good day out shooting. Almost 50 degrees in December!

How is everyone finding them?

I go on ebird.org and also joined a NH birdwatching group on FB.It actually really sucks because the spots the owls are at in NH have been widely publicized and there was like 50 people there this morning, from people with 600mm f4s to point and shoots.

I go on ebird.org and also joined a NH birdwatching group on FB.It actually really sucks because the spots the owls are at in NH have been widely publicized and there was like 50 people there this morning, from people with 600mm f4s to point and shoots.
that sucks.. not the photos, all the people like it is a tourist attraction or something. nice owl pic though.
the boat pic, I want to like it but it seems oversaturated or something. Little too much pink. just doesn't look real. Maybe a slight tone down would help that out it could be a nice photo.
Good job getting out there!

WOW!, Love that sunrise shot. The owl is awesome, I know when they are sideways and facing you it's tough to decide how to compose it. For some reason I feel like it should have more space on the other side, or maybe that it would look better in portrait. It sure is a wonderful shot of the bird.

that sucks.. not the photos, all the people like it is a tourist attraction or something. nice owl pic though.
the boat pic, I want to like it but it seems oversaturated or something. Little too much pink. just doesn't look real. Maybe a slight tone down would help that out it could be a nice photo.
Good job getting out there!

I agree, the color is pretty insane here. This is how it looked though, one of the best sunrises I've seen in months. Usually I add 5-10% vibrance and/or saturation but it obviously wasn't needed here.

WOW!, Love that sunrise shot. The owl is awesome, I know when they are sideways and facing you it's tough to decide how to compose it. For some reason I feel like it should have more space on the other side, or maybe that it would look better in portrait. It sure is a wonderful shot of the bird.

I was wondering if somebody would say that- needing more space on the left. I felt the same way, but cropped it like this because there are trucks way in the background on the other side of the harbor....they are out of focus but it still looked weird to me. I have probably a hundred others to choose from with a bunch of vertical shots as well. I was psyched to have it sitting like this though, I love being able to see how big their feet are! Such an impressive animal

Here's a much tighter crop of the owl yesterday. You can see it's bloody talons much better here

snowy5.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back