Amazing updates to LR selections and masking!

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In case you missed it there’s an update available for Adobe users.

I really enjoy Matt K’s tutorials - here’s a quick (free) high level overview on the new tools available.
Also a few updates to Adobe Bridge Camera RAW and Photoshop too :)

Also a few updates to Adobe Bridge Camera RAW and Photoshop too :)
Yes thanks for adding that. I typically do all my editing in LRC unless I need to remove things or sky swap so I tend to focus on that tool more than the others. But yes - exciting updates to ACR and PS as well! It’s going to rain here all weekend so hopefully I’ll have some time to mess around with this stuff.

Im debating paying for Matt’s new tutorial on this to shorten the learning curve. I’ll decide after I try it out on my own and look at the Adobe videos. If anyone comes across a free and well done tutorial on this update that focuses on LRC please let me know!

The jury is still out for me on the LR update, so far I'm finding it a little awkward compared to the old brushes. Haven't had a chance to really try out the PS update yet.

For all those PC users, check your graphics card for driver updates. NVIDIA just released a massive new studio update.

Last edited:
I'll have to check this in the morning, but I'm all for better masking in lightroom!

I never get the updates. Guess I'll have to bug Adobe customer support.

Yes thanks for adding that. I typically do all my editing in LRC unless I need to remove things or sky swap so I tend to focus on that tool more than the others. But yes - exciting updates to ACR and PS as well! It’s going to rain here all weekend so hopefully I’ll have some time to mess around with this stuff.

Im debating paying for Matt’s new tutorial on this to shorten the learning curve. I’ll decide after I try it out on my own and look at the Adobe videos. If anyone comes across a free and well done tutorial on this update that focuses on LRC please let me know!
I do have LR as it comes with the PS subscription, but sadly I NEVER use it- I know Photoshop inside and out and I am happy to continue using that - I really should give it a go as I'm sure it holds possibilities to be even more creative - although, shooting mostly wildlife creativity is not really in vogue

Les :)

I never get the updates. Guess I'll have to bug Adobe customer support.
Mac or PC? On my MacBook I had to go look for the updates, it didn’t alert me like it usually does. Not sure if they’re doing something differently or if I got annoyed and shut the alerts off last time lol.

This is a good, very short, free video that demos the new mask selection options. He has a longer deep dive tutorial as well but I haven’t watched it yet. I like his videos they’re very concise but he’s a bit too bland and could cause napping on the longer ones if you’re not careful.

No idea how Mac works, but on my PC I have the Creative Cloud App. All updates come through it, as well as being able to access other features.

Had a chance to play with the new LR this morning. My initial reaction is they took the selection/masking features that were already there and forced you into a more cumbersome method of applying them. I haven't found where they put all my brush presets yet :madass:If I had wanted Luminar to select my sky I would have bought it for a lot less than Adobe. LR has always had the ability to select out the sky (or parts there of) using brushes or radiant filter. One odd quirk I discovered, when you select brush you have to first use the slider to increase the size, before the hot key works????? At least the catalog update doesn't delete your old catalog, it makes a copy and updates it, so if you want to go back to the version you can.

Sorry, but I see nothing that amazing about the update.

Mac or PC? On my MacBook I had to go look for the updates, it didn’t alert me like it usually does. Not sure if they’re doing something differently or if I got annoyed and shut the alerts off last time lol.
PC. when I check for updates it tells me that all the apps are the latest version, but I never even got the texture slider

No idea how Mac works, but on my PC I have the Creative Cloud App. All updates come through it, as well as being able to access other features.

Had a chance to play with the new LR this morning. My initial reaction is they took the selection/masking features that were already there and forced you into a more cumbersome method of applying them. I haven't found where they put all my brush presets yet :madass:If I had wanted Luminar to select my sky I would have bought it for a lot less than Adobe. LR has always had the ability to select out the sky (or parts there of) using brushes or radiant filter. One odd quirk I discovered, when you select brush you have to first use the slider to increase the size, before the hot key works????? At least the catalog update doesn't delete your old catalog, it makes a copy and updates it, so if you want to go back to the version you can.

Sorry, but I see nothing that amazing about the update.
This seems a bit “don’t move my cheese” Smoke. I guess it will come down to accuracy. I see it as a massive time saver over using brushes and gradients to make selections (assuming it’s as accurate as it’s been presented in the videos I’ve watched). As a bit of a sloppy editor (lack of patience), I think this will help me to be more precise. I use selective adjustments on almost every photo so I’m looking forward to giving this a test drive.

Have you checked out Anthony Morganti's tutorial?

This seems a bit “don’t move my cheese” Smoke. I guess it will come down to accuracy. I see it as a massive time saver over using brushes and gradients to make selections (assuming it’s as accurate as it’s been presented in the videos I’ve watched). As a bit of a sloppy editor (lack of patience), I think this will help me to be more precise. I use selective adjustments on almost every photo so I’m looking forward to giving this a test drive.

Not really, but I don't see anything that amazed me yet. I did find several things that interrupt and add time to my work flow. A few secs here and there add up when your working on a large set of images. Overal I see the updates more geared toward the consumer rather than the pro. The ability to combine masking with tools in LR has been around for awhile now, they've just presented it differently. Using a graphics pad and pen, I've never had a problem with selections in either LR or PS.

I haven't had time to explore PS much yet. My first impression of the hover and select feature is another one of those things that's more annoying then benificial. It's sort of like a GPS saying take this road, it's the shortest route, but doesn't consider there's a gazillion stop lights and major traffic.

What would impress me is if they fixed the notorious slow down in LR when you start adding a lot of adjustment brushes/filters, across multiple images.

So, LR has been happily telling me my version 6.0 is up to date- which it is perfectly updated v6. I missed the part somehow where it wet to 9, now 11... I've been editing in the ice ages.

Most reactions

Back