Amazon Prime Increasing from $79 to $99

mckeonkent

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got an email confirming that when my prime renews is July the rate is increasing from $79 to $99.
My rate increases in July 2014. So check your renewal dates!

I shop on amazon a lot so I feel like the discounted prices I get probably even out the membership fee. If I had to order more in order to get free shipping or wait around until I have several things to order together then I'll probably end up spending that much more anyway.
w.png
It's just harder to part with it all at once.

I will probably still come out ahead but not sure. Its probably still worth it but it pisses me off.

In the Uk its going up from 49.99 to 79.99 £

The extra is to include an Amazon instant (LoveFilm) component, which works out cheaper than netflix over the year.

Will your rate increase in 2014 or 2015? The email I received today stated that my rate would be $79 when it renews end of June 2014 but that it will go up to $99 in June of 2015.

Will your rate increase in 2014 or 2015? The email I received today stated that my rate would be $79 when it renews end of June 2014 but that it will go up to $99 in June of 2015.

I suspect it's going up at the first of July. Therefore, because yours renews in June, you still get one last $79 renewal. Those of us whose Prime accounts renew after July 1 (mine is August) will have to pay the increased amount.

Once I realized that, I went to see if it was possible to renew it early, but I don't really see a way to do that. To be fair, I didn't look very hard. ;)

Is it worth the increase? Obviously, that answer might vary for different people, but for me, absolutely. On top of the free shipping, there's Amazon Instant Videos, the Amazon Lending Library for Kindle books, and Kindle First, which offers one free new release book each month (you do have to pick from one of four available choices, but it's free, and a good way to discover new authors you like!).

First i've heard of kindle first. Thanks!!

I'll be cancelling my membership. I really only used it for the video streaming, and now they've just become more expensive than NetFlix. With their increased use of USPS anyways, I rarely get my packages in the 2 day window anyways. And remember, even with prime you are NOT getting free shipping. If you shop around, you'll notice the prime prices are higher than non-prime prices. There is already a suit in the works over that.
I guess it might be worth it if you are heavily invested in Kindle, but other than that, it just doesn't make sense anymore.

Most reactions

Back