ambitions of a young dreamer.

Ok, standard disclaimer: I make the following statements in an attempt to help. Sometimes I think people are afraid to say anything that isn't "Love it!", but I want people to be honest with me, so I'm honest with others. Don't hate me! :)

On this pic...

Honestly, I really didn't "feel it". It's a cute idea, but it didn't work for me and the space at the right is kind of distracting. I think you could pull off the same effect without it. (It also was a noticable photoshop removal... of course reality dictates that it must be, but it still stood out to me, regardless.)

On the technical side, it seems a bit washed out. The detail on the wingy-things (whatever the hell those seed pods are called) seemed pretty washed out due to overexposure, and in general the colors seemed kind of weak... maybe due to the same thing- washout. Not certain.

Seems to be some focus issues, too? Caterpillar is in focus pretty good, but a lot of the rest seems fuzzy. Stick moving during the shot maybe?

If you have the image RAW I might consider reprocessing it.

First of all, thanks to everyone who likes it. I feel that i am starting to understand what i want to do with photography more and more everyday.
Manaheim - thanks for the feedback. It's always good to hear what someone with completely different view of what is "good" thinks about your work. Exposure and focus and all that stuff seem to me to be among the least important factors that make up a good shot.

I got it right away....very clever! I really like it!

Exposure and focus and all that stuff seem to me to be among the least important factors that make up a good shot.

with this shot i agree. the concept is sound. i love that the branch is floating. forget about the reality of photography and enjoy the concept. it looks like he's flying, and fast. a real contrast to the sluggish nature of caterpillers. he is an ambitious one!

I like the concept of this photo, it is very cute. However, if I were going for the floating branch idea, I would actually make it *more* obvious-- instead of people looking at it thinking it might be a mistake, they would look at the picture and get it right off.

Exposure and focus and all that stuff seem to me to be among the least important factors that make up a good shot.

Composition (spacing, etc) really is the most important part for a photo like this, but exposure and focus are what really make the photo pop out at you. You can have the best set up in the world, but it'll only ever be a so-so photograph if you don't have the technical bits spot on. The airplane idea would stand out even more if the caterpillar and the seeds were perfectly exposed and in focus, and a blurry background would lend to the idea of speed and freedom.

You have a good eye and a good imagination :)

Most reactions

Back