An idea of telephoto lens for wildlife picture shooting

Is this idea worth development?

• No :-)

• Absolutely no :-)

• Sure!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hopefully, our real design will be close to simulations
If you can get that kind of quality from an iPhone lens, at a good distance away, that'd be spectacular. Good luck.

60-90 USD, that's for parts only, correct? What kind of markup would you expect from here?

The reason I ask is that, while I consider my phone to be a good general use camera, I hesitate spending any considerable money on lenses for it. I'd rather spend that money on my camera.

That said, I might not be your target market. Before I'd be willing to consider such a lens, I'd need to see real results. When do you anticipate creating a prototype?

iPhone cameras are actually very good, people do not often realize that these small lenses are producing high resolution images, the optics itself is really remarkable. What is limiting these cameras is the sensor itself, because the pixels are getting smaller and smaller. So in order to utilize this resolution, the telephoto addon itself must be high quality as well (i.e. optics, assembly, etc).

60-90 USD, that's for parts only, correct? What kind of markup would you expect from here?
Correct, so there is still an unknown cost of the assembly, testing, logistics etc.

That said, I might not be your target market. Before I'd be willing to consider such a lens, I'd need to see real results. When do you anticipate creating a prototype?
Currently, I am waiting for delivery of the mechanical parts. The optics is already testes and looks promising (it means it is manufactured according to the documentation). I am expecting to assemble and test the prototype units in January 2018, and if everything will go as planned (successful crowdfunding campaign), then we are expecting to launch the product to the market at the fourth quarter of 2018. So as you can see there is many ifs and unknows :)

I am expecting to assemble and test the prototype units in January 2018
Be sure to keep us updated on your prototype and sample images!

Gosh I thought it was an alien drone at first.

Some ppl at an early stage of the project were thinking that it looks like a yellow submarine attached to the smartphone, so alien drone doesn't sound that bad after all :)

Tiny image sensors and tiny pixels are the biggest problem with mobile device cameras, even the cameras in iPhones.
The iPhone 5 has a 1/3.2" image sensor while the iPhone 6 sensor is 1/3", both having a crop factor between 7x & 8x.
Pixel pitch, the distance between the center of two pixels on an image sensor, for mobile device image sensors is usually somewhere in the 1.75 to less than 1.0 micron.

Does sensor size matter? YES! | Expert photography blogs, tip, techniques, camera reviews - Adorama Learning Center

True, mobile cameras with a small sensor will never be as good as cameras using larger sensors, still at daylight conditions you can get pretty good pictures. For astrophotography shooting with longer exposition can reduce the noise to the level where they are no longer a problem.

Hi, it might not be the best place to post this thread so please be lenient :)

I have an idea of telephoto adapter for smartphones. Everyone carries a smartphone in a pocket so why not use it for wildlife photography? The only missing piece is a reasonably narrow FOV, which will give large magnification. So I came up with an idea of developing one because I couldn't find any good quality telephoto adapter on the market. There are many telephoto adapters, but actually, all of them are rubbish.

The idea itself is very simple, I just designed the optical system based on the telescope design (quite fast F/5 telescope). You can compare my solution to a mirror lens, below are renders of the design:

ysFxdO2.jpg

xR6ZBq8.jpg

FdNlqip.jpg

The main pros of this solution are:
- small size and weight
- very good image quality (this is Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope)
- easy and repetitive mounting solution (not visible)

The whole setup you can mount on the tripod (still I am thinking how to solve it) and shoot wildlife from a decent distance. As you can see on the renders the picture shooting is very ergonomic, because the telephoto adapter is mounted sideways. This means that when you are taking pictures of an object in front of you, then you do not have to put a smartphone in front of your eyes just to see what is on the display (I hope you can visualize this :) ).

What do you think about such solution? Would that be a good idea to proceed with a prototype? What do you think is important in wildlife photography from equipment perspective? Any answers would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Simon
Simon; good idea, has been used. holding or tapeing a lens or loope for close ups. a snap on fixture for various lenses would be good where high quality is not required.

If a man can make a living from developing new technology why not.

Most reactions

Back