An idea of telephoto lens for wildlife picture shooting

Discussion in 'Cell Phone Cameras & Camera Phones' started by szkorotko, Dec 22, 2017.

?

Is this idea worth development?

1. No :-)

2. Absolutely no :-)

3. Sure!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The image is not on the mirror. There's nothing on the mirror to focus on. The AF will focus on the subject, the same as if the mirror wasn't part of the optical path.

2. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I looked at your Tweet. Aren't they BOTH image simulations?

Also, shouldn't you try image simulations of the same subject? You're using two different images to compare to one another, which doesn't give an accurate depiction of image quality between your hypothetical lens to actual manufactured lenses.

What are you expecting costs to be?

3. szkorotko

szkorotko TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, they are both simulations, I did such comparison simulations earlier. Hopefully, our real design will be close to simulations:
    [​IMG]

and this is what you can get from telephotos available on the market:
    [​IMG]

Actually, you can search for the image quality of this kind of telephoto adapters on YouTube. Here you can find real > example <

I am still not sure about the pricing since I don't have yet detailed costs estimation for volume production. I expect that optical and mechanical components will cost total roughly 60-90 USD.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  4. waday

Photos OK to edit
    If you can get that kind of quality from an iPhone lens, at a good distance away, that'd be spectacular. Good luck.

60-90 USD, that's for parts only, correct? What kind of markup would you expect from here?

The reason I ask is that, while I consider my phone to be a good general use camera, I hesitate spending any considerable money on lenses for it. I'd rather spend that money on my camera.

That said, I might not be your target market. Before I'd be willing to consider such a lens, I'd need to see real results. When do you anticipate creating a prototype?

5. szkorotko

szkorotko TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    iPhone cameras are actually very good, people do not often realize that these small lenses are producing high resolution images, the optics itself is really remarkable. What is limiting these cameras is the sensor itself, because the pixels are getting smaller and smaller. So in order to utilize this resolution, the telephoto addon itself must be high quality as well (i.e. optics, assembly, etc).

Correct, so there is still an unknown cost of the assembly, testing, logistics etc.

Currently, I am waiting for delivery of the mechanical parts. The optics is already testes and looks promising (it means it is manufactured according to the documentation). I am expecting to assemble and test the prototype units in January 2018, and if everything will go as planned (successful crowdfunding campaign), then we are expecting to launch the product to the market at the fourth quarter of 2018. So as you can see there is many ifs and unknows :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. waday

Photos OK to edit
    Be sure to keep us updated on your prototype and sample images!

7. Donde

Donde TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gosh I thought it was an alien drone at first.

8. szkorotko

szkorotko TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some ppl at an early stage of the project were thinking that it looks like a yellow submarine attached to the smartphone, so alien drone doesn't sound that bad after all :)

9. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Tiny image sensors and tiny pixels are the biggest problem with mobile device cameras, even the cameras in iPhones.
    The iPhone 5 has a 1/3.2" image sensor while the iPhone 6 sensor is 1/3", both having a crop factor between 7x & 8x.
    Pixel pitch, the distance between the center of two pixels on an image sensor, for mobile device image sensors is usually somewhere in the 1.75 to less than 1.0 micron.

Does sensor size matter? YES! | Expert photography blogs, tip, techniques, camera reviews - Adorama Learning Center

10. szkorotko

szkorotko TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    True, mobile cameras with a small sensor will never be as good as cameras using larger sensors, still at daylight conditions you can get pretty good pictures. For astrophotography shooting with longer exposition can reduce the noise to the level where they are no longer a problem.

11. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Simon; good idea, has been used. holding or tapeing a lens or loope for close ups. a snap on fixture for various lenses would be good where high quality is not required.