An image worth freezing my *** off for

pursuer said:
Thanks guys,

Raymond there is a kind of dark shot of me freezing my a$$ off in this thread, along with my humble first attempt at Saturn.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=382158#post382158

John_05 I actually just used a webcam to capture the image, but a telescope is needed to0 of course.

Ok, the word unbelievable comes to mind!

Please detail your eq. and costs if you don't mind! I might need this stuff to shoot a baldy some day!

Thanks Duncanp, Mentos.

Raymond J Barlow said:
Ok, the word unbelievable comes to mind!

Please detail your eq. and costs if you don't mind! I might need this stuff to shoot a baldy some day!

Thats kind of a scary request, I don't think I have ever added up the cost of everything :scared:

Here goes, lol. This is roughly what I paid in Canadian dollars, including shipping and taxes.

Second hand Skywatcher 10" reflecting telescope on an EQ6 equitorial motor driven mount. $1200 + $150 shipping

Eye pieces, 2X barlow lens, filters, colmination tool, telrad reflex finder, $1200

ToUCamII + adapter + IR blocking filter 160$

second hand laptop to run the webcam 200$

Eye piece projection adapter, plus t-ring 100$

Coronando Hydrogen alpha PST 900$

Canon 300D (I originally bought my camera as an astronomy accessory lol)
$1400
Canon angle finder C (for astrophotography) $300

I won't count the 1GB CF card, tripod and lenses and cases that I use primarly for normal photography.

So I guess some where around $5660, less then the price of an L series super telephoto lens :)

EDIT: just so I don't discourage anyone I should mention that you can get into astronomy pretty cheap. A good pair of binoculars can show you a lot and the above photo could probably be taken just as easily with a $600-700 setup.

wow, thanks Richard, thats about what I would have guessed, judging from the looks of that shot in your yard/deck. looks like a lot of fun, I bet you get some real clear skys out west. thanks for the view!

pursuer said:
.... I don't think I have ever added up the cost of everything :scared: ....So I guess some where around $5660, less then the price of an L series super telephoto lens

GAAAAAAaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Wow, mucho dinero. But what a shot. ]

:confused: Canada must be really close to the sky because "down here in the dumps" I can't see anything like that.....ever......not ever....Are you sure you don't live in outer space?:)

:hail:

Most reactions

Back