An odd encounter with a wedding photog...

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bring this question to this section, seeing as how those of you in the business might be able to shed some light on this odd situation. So here's the situation. My fiancee and I found a wedding photographer who was recommended by one of my fiancee's friends. Her portfolio was very good. She had our date available, so we set up a meeting. We met with her for about an hour. We seemed to click pretty well. Her style was what we were looking for. At the end of the meeting, she said she would hold the date for a week so we could discuss it and get back to her. Then, the next morning, I got an email from her saying "Thanks for meeting with me. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm a good fit for you as a couple." Then she went on to recommend other photogs.

I guess I'm just a bit befuddled. Everyone I've talked to said they've never heard of that happening. I'm certainly not passing judgment on her, but it doesn't seem like a good business practice. And frankly, it kinda feels like we got dumped :lol: Maybe it's just her exercising her ability as a small business owner to pick and choose. Or maybe we're not pretty enough for her portfolio! :lmao:

Is the fit with perspective clients something those of you in the business evaluate? I suppose if a photog has a certain style, I guess I could see how personality differences might make it hard to pull off your style, but it was just kinda weird.

Sounds like something better came up or she found something objectionable about your union. Most likely the first.

Personally, I would rather have the Photographer tell me no and offer some others that would be able to meet my needs than accept the gig and blow it... Call me crazy. I admire the Photographer, whatever the reason.

Sounds like "oops i didnt remember i already have something going on that date"

Did you ever hear of 'love at first sight'? I found out 40 years ago 'major dislike at first sight' when put on a computer consulting contract with the biggest jerk I had ever met in my life. Maybe that happened to her. Who knows. At least she graciously bowed out of the picture for reasons unknown. Maybe she's opposed to alcohol being served, or had a bad experience at the wedding location previously, or knows it's so dark there nobody can get good pictures, or....

Regardless, it's time to go with another photographer...

That is indeed weird, but if I were you, I wouldn't waste even one more second trying to figure out WHY she did that. Life's too short. No matter WHY she decided to turn you down like that, you are the ones who benefit. You are far, far better off with her just "dumping" you than to end up with a photographer who, unbeknownst to you, has some sort of issue with you.

I'm not even sure I'd use her suggested alternatives. I'd just start from scratch and ask friends for other references. If THEY suggest someone on this photog's alternatives list, I'd consider them; I just wouldn't pick them based solely on her recommendation, since at this point, her recommendation would mean squat to me.

I guess I'm just a bit befuddled. Everyone I've talked to said they've never heard of that happening. I'm certainly not passing judgment on her, but it doesn't seem like a good business practice. And frankly, it kinda feels like we got dumped :lol: Maybe it's just her exercising her ability as a small business owner to pick and choose. Or maybe we're not pretty enough for her portfolio! :lmao:

You didn't get dumped, you got spared the hassle for whatever reason. Check out the photogs that she suggested and don't think anything about it.

Maybe you were only looking to book a smaller package, and she is confident that she can book a larger package for the same date. Maybe she doesn't want the pressure of shooting for another photographer.

Whatever the reason, don't worry about it. Life is too short.

Sounds like something better came up or she found something objectionable about your union. Most likely the first.

Ha, hopefully it was the former..

Well I've heard of wedding vendors who object to gay weddings, mixed faith and even mixed race weddings. Granted they are all horrible and terrible close-minded people, but hey their loss.

I suppose it could be one of many reasons. Perhaps she didn't like us for some reason, or she thought she could find better clients. Who knows. Oh well, I've taken the advise and moved on! The search continues...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back