Analog bug has bitten me again

crowtalks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought my 1st SLR in 1973, but by the time 2010 rolled around, I assumed film was as dead as vinyl (I guess it was, since vinyl has made a resurgence of sorts), I had moved on to digital and I grudgingly sold my N2020 to my Barista that wanted to "see what film was all about".
By the time 2016 rolled around, I started hearing distant rumbles about film photography gaining popularity and I started missing some of the cameras I had used decades ago and looking about the internet I realized that film cameras were selling decently cheap so I slowly started regaining some of my lost gems.
A few, like my Nikkormats, EL and Yashica TLR I had kept stored away.
Fast forward to today and I am blessed to have a choice of film cameras to use when the yen to shoot analog starts tugging at my heart-strings.
I decided to dig out this cool F3 I picked up a few years ago to run a couple of rolls thru it. On inspection, the seals were iffy, so I have ordered a light seal kit, and with fresh batteries in it, this F3 is ready to produce some beautiful shots...
Nikon F3 couch 1 900 pxl.jpg

I bought my 1st SLR in 1973, but by the time 2010 rolled around, I assumed film was as dead as vinyl (I guess it was, since vinyl has made a resurgence of sorts), I had moved on to digital and I grudgingly sold my N2020 to my Barista that wanted to "see what film was all about".
By the time 2016 rolled around, I started hearing distant rumbles about film photography gaining popularity and I started missing some of the cameras I had used decades ago and looking about the internet I realized that film cameras were selling decently cheap so I slowly started regaining some of my lost gems.
A few, like my Nikkormats, EL and Yashica TLR I had kept stored away.
Fast forward to today and I am blessed to have a choice of film cameras to use when the yen to shoot analog starts tugging at my heart-strings.
I decided to dig out this cool F3 I picked up a few years ago to run a couple of rolls thru it. On inspection, the seals were iffy, so I have ordered a light seal kit, and with fresh batteries in it, this F3 is ready to produce some beautiful shots...
View attachment 265880
Welcome to the film brigade!

Very nice F3, look forward to seeing the pics.

Good for you - you should be getting excellent shots with this camera once you get those seals replaced.

I'll never understand why so many photographers sold off or gave away what had been high quality gear. These days some of these cameras can't even be found on ebay for any price, unless they're not in working condition.

You were smart to hold onto those gems!

Have two F3s with MD-4 drives on each--one early with a DE-2 finder; another late with a DE-3(HP)finder bought new I've never shot--shame...Light seals. Don't go nuts. Replace the seal--if necessary--at the film door hinge. Would advise stopping there. Seals along the length of the door are rarely a source of light leaks. Stay out of the mirror box and finder area--too easy to get goo on the mirror that you'll never remove without damaging the delicate mirror surface. It's a special design that allowed light to pass through to the F3's unique "fat spot" 80/20 metering pattern on the sensor. Check out the manual, too. The F3 has the ability to meter hellishly long exposures if that matters.

Encyclopedic F3 info here:

My only beef with film materials now is cost and the scarcity of quality accessible processing.

Last edited:
Have two F3s with MD-4 drives on each--one early with a DE-2 finder; another late with a DE-3(HP)finder bought new I've never shot--shame...Light seals. Don't go nuts. Replace the seal--if necessary--at the film door hinge. Would advise stopping there. Seals along the length of the door are rarely a source of light leaks. Stay out of the mirror box and finder area--too easy to get goo on the mirror that you'll never remove without damaging the delicate mirror surface. It's a special design that allowed light to pass through the F3's unique "fat spot" 80/20 metering pattern on the sensor. Check out the manual, too. The F3 has the ability to meter hellishly long exposures if that matters.

Encyclopedic F3 info here:

My only beef with film materials now is cost and the scarcity of quality accessible processing.
Thanks for the info...

I have downloaded manuals for it and I generally do my own developing for 35 and 120 using C41. Thanks for the tip about avoiding foam inside the mirror housing...I have had to try and clean gummy foam residue from mirrors in the past,

Jim

I was decades late to the F3 party. The 1/80 sync speed always bothered me. I have used the FM, FE, FE-2, N90s and F100 for decades. A few years ago, I came across an F3 in mint condition at a price too good to pass up. I quickly discovered what a joy it is to shoot with the F3. If you aren't shooting with bigger, heavy glass, do not add the motor drive to it. It feels soooo much better without it. It's a fantastic camera. I use the small 3v lithium batteries in it. They last a long time. I have the DE-2 and the HP viewfinder. I prefer the earlier DE-2, but they are quite similar in use.

Nikon F3.jpg

Nikon F3 .jpg

Some F3s, especially early examples, do suffer from reduced contrast on the teensy VF LCD. It's housed in the body and not easily accessible. The display and its ribbon connector disappeared from Nikon parts bins almost 20 years ago.

I am also going back to film snapping!,
I've recently retired from professional sports photography using Nikon & hankered after my previous Nikon SLR's, however, after purchasing a "near new" FM2, along with a "never" used MD12 & 50mm lens, I actually decided to set my sites on my first ever cameras which,, where Pentax!.
My parents bought me a Pentax ME Super for Xmas in, I think about 1984?, I loved that camera & bought another in Black a few years later along with an LX.
skip a few years & I moved to Nikon for work but I always regretted missing out on the Super A etc, well, I now own 4 Super A's, 2 ME Supers, (in Black), along with winders &, when, I lusted after them, where rare as hens teeth, Super A's motor drives. :).
I just love the aesthetics of the bodies & build quality compared with the Digi bodies, don't get me wrong the quality of the D6 & newer Z9 are great but, huge in comparison lol.

Most reactions

Back