What's new

Analysis of three random photos

cldjr

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 17, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I'm new to photography and I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the images below:

#1:
$IMG_7327.webp

#2(this one has a 'small' framing flaw)
$IMG_7277.webp

#3:
$IMG_7355.webp


As I'm a beginner, your feedback will be very valuable to me.

Thanks guys,
Cheers
 
Feedback is good for everyone not just beginners.
1. It's good. Don't go straight BW on the background but just desaturate it some until you are satisfied with the contrast. Selective coloring against BW is overdone.
2. Cool. I like it. Can we get a little bit more in front of the fountain?
3. I like the railing but everything else not so much.
 
Thanks for your input, Mike - appreciated.

I'll keep in mind what you said wrt 1 next time I use a similar effect.

BTW I'll get a little bit more in front of the fountain when I get back to the park then I'll post the picture again ;)
 
Hello, I'm new to photography
These are good: none of them really work well, which is good.* 1 and 2 are over-ambitious, which is good.* All of them attempt to impress the viewer, and be dynamic, and have impact, which is good. They all fall short in a good way*; a way that says "don't sweat the small stuff".

#1 In a world of monochrome, colour is wonderful. But the planter on the left is bedraggled, and the backdrop is ugly and chaotic. You could get much closer to the flowers and choose a better back drop.

#2 as you know, this one has a 'small' framing flaw, - or two, or three - and the horizon looks a little like it's running away from right to left. Exposures pretty good; maybe you could shoot several shots and one will have a more symmetrical water spout, (or something), which looks more pleasing. You could zoom in, (or get closer), and frame the pond as a semi-circle. You could reframe and/or crop the image, omitting the 1 & 1/2 tower blocks to the right, and equalizing the amount of gravel/pavement either side of the pond.

#3 Again, you see the bridge/gazebo thing is leaning ever slightly, and is too tightly cropped overhead by the top of the frame. With architecture and structures, if you are attempting leading angles and exact symmetry, it's best to set up the shot: use a tripod or some kind of level surface. Otherwise, you need to be experienced and/or use software to correct perspectives. Picture 3's big feature is wooden pole leading the eye out from the centre of the frame. Is it so deserving? Is it culturally significant? historic? immense? no, it's a pole! does it pass the "so what!" test? no. You can end up with tons of images like that clogging up your hard-drive that weren't worth the shutter actuation in the first place, other than as an exercise in leading-lines and being fun to shoot. Better to seek out a shot that informs the viewer: where does the bridge go to? where is the bridge situated? how big is the bridge compared to a person standing on it? - can that person be visually interesting and can they be photographed candidly or posed to be visually interesting. This is all the craft of what you want to be doing. At the very least, you are looking to photograph light: shots 2 & 3, the light is fairly overhead and there are few or no shadows, (especially #2) that really add to the pictures. shoot earlier or later in the day and you'll have more interesting, directional light.


* - because you are an enthusiast, and it's important to remain enthusiastic.
 
Last edited:
71M, thanks for your answer.

#1 - yes, you are quite right. Backdrop is ugly and chaotic - should've come closer! Well noted.
#2 - nice points. After reading what you wrote, I realized I could've got a so much better composition.
#3 - the wooden pole has no meaning indeed - which sort of makes the picture 'empty' if you know what I mean. Also I now see I could've worked this one better as well.

Thanks once again, 71M. You were very kind to take few minutes of your time to write your comments - they will be very useful to me undoubtedly.

Cheers.
 
71M, thanks for your answer.

#1 - yes, you are quite right. Backdrop is ugly and chaotic - should've come closer! Well noted.
#2 - nice points. After reading what you wrote, I realized I could've got a so much better composition.
#3 - the wooden pole has no meaning indeed - which sort of makes the picture 'empty' if you know what I mean. Also I now see I could've worked this one better as well.

Thanks once again, 71M. You were very kind to take few minutes of your time to write your comments - they will be very useful to me undoubtedly.

Cheers.

You're welcome; I've taken lots of photos just the same. Truly great, amateur photos are hard to make, even with lots of practice.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom