Andromeda Galaxy 9/6/21

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first night out under the stars in a while this week, so I picked a nice big target! When I was in northern Wisconsin in early August, I could see the Andromeda Galaxy naked eye. It was really amazing!

Nikon D610 - astro modified
Nikon 200-500mm lens @ 500mm
100 sec exposures at ISO 640, f/5.6
Total exposure time of 1hr 20min
Celestron AVX mount
Orion Starshoot guide camera
60mm guide scope

I have been having trouble with my clip-in light polution filter, so i had to keep the exposures shorter. In retrospect, I didn't collect nearly enough data given the conditions. It took a tremendous amount of processing to tease out the galaxy and keep the background halfway decent. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results!

Andromeda Galaxy Stack 090621 - 2.jpg

Sounds like it was hard to process, you could've titled it, "The Andromeda Strain", and got away with it. Nice shot, looks very cool!

So damn cool. Would love to get into astro-photography. Amazing to see an image like that and realize there are some out there that think we're the be all, end all.

Nice shot. Some nice detail in there.

So damn cool. Would love to get into astro-photography. Amazing to see an image like that and realize there are some out there that think we're the be all, end all.
Thanks! I will fore warn you, it's yet another rabbit hole of a hobby, haha. It definitely opens one's eyes as to what's out there and adds some perspective to our place in the cosmos.
Good shot.....
Thanks......
Nice shot. Some nice detail in there.
Thank you!

Most reactions

Back