Animal Kingdom

cigrainger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I headed to Animal Kingdom with my girlfriend yesterday. I took my Pentax K100D and SMC Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5 lens. Had a pretty good time, let me know what you think... these are unedited. I shot in jpg because I had a bunch of pictures already on my SD card that took most of the room and I just didn't really care. All comments/criticism welcome.

PS Manual focusing with animals is tough.

613049308_09dca781d0_b.jpg

612399009_75265cd7e5_b.jpg

613030492_e063233270_b.jpg

612379251_223a5a5bf5_b.jpg

612996708_ae160238cc_b.jpg

612348671_e74e12a4f3_b.jpg

612986794_67eaf6a4b9_b.jpg

612330235_b1ca79101f_b.jpg

612337319_de6a3bb52c_b.jpg

Almost 30 views and no comments? I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth coming on these forums anymore.

i think it is sometimes worth coming to the forums . . . its been really slow lately.
i don't like any of these too much.
nothing too exciting compositionally, the light is spotty in a lot of them . . . and i can see how hard it was to focus on animals, it looked like you missed the focus a tad on some.

8 seems ackward, the foreground is out of focus and i don't think it works here.

when you go to those places in the middle of the day its hard to get much more than what you did though . . .

did you sharpen any of these? or is the lens that sharp?

I was at Animal Kingdom a year ago before I purchased my SLR...now I see what I could have done. 6 and 9 I really like. But what do I know...I'm a newbie. :)

did you sharpen any of these? or is the lens that sharp?

Thanks for the comments -- I like any criticism. And yeah -- moving on a bumpy safari ride trying to shoot around people and manual focus and set the exposure is difficult.

I didn't sharpen any of them -- they're completely unedited, I shot in jpg and these are straight from the camera. I think this is where you see the benefit of using Pentax (or adapters for Nikon/Canon) because this 135mm f/3.5 lens cost me around $60 off ebay in perfect condition and is sharper than just about any modern lens at a similar focal length by any manufacturer under $500 or so.

To be honest, these are closer to glorified snapshots than anything. I'm not a wildlife kind of photog. If you have any suggestions for improving the composition on any of these, I would appreciate it because I don't even know where to start with wildlife photography composition, captive or not.

So you say you actually had to take these out of a moving vehicle?
That fact given, I think you did really well! Your lens takes you and ultimately ourselves as viewers really close to the animals and you get some great detail on most.

Yes, the sun was harsh and so the shadows are the same, too, but that is Florida in June for you, I should guess.

I quite like these - but then I am one who likes "glorified snapshots" since sometimes you just have to take what you get when you get it.

I think they're pretty good. I like 1 - maybe a bit more contrast but good shot. And I really like the lighting in 6... bit of crop and it's perfect ( IMO)
!!

Most reactions

Back