the dog shots kinda scare me. He looks like a cyborg dog with how one eye is bright and the other is dark...
I noticed in a lot of them, there are "body parts" cut off... In one of the orange cat pictures, the tip of his ear is cut off... In a couple other's his tail is cut off...
I also want to reiterate on what reznap already told you. If you are shooting in "P" mode (on the dial on the top of your camera), that doesn't stand for portrait. I don't know exactly what it stands for, but it is basically like shooting in Auto mode without flash. That is not going to help you learn how to use your DSLR. The best thing about having a DSLR is that you can choose your aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, etc. But you can only do that if you go into Av, Tv, or M modes. Those are the modes where you will set your own settings.
A lot of people will tell you to learn the functions of your camera in Auto mode first... For real? All that does is teaches you how to use the shutter button on your fxcking camera. Dumb.
Use this rule of thumb and play with Tv mode for a while. In Tv mode, you will set your shutter speed and the camera will set the aperture for you to have a proper exposure. The rule of thumb is that your shutter speed should never be less than the longest focal length of your lens. If you are using a 55-200mm lens, your shutter speed should be 1/200 or more (1/320, 1/400, etc) Once you get the hang of setting your own shutter speed to get your camera to do what you want it to do, then do the same thing with Av mode where you choose your aperture. Get the hang of that, and learn what each setting does and how they work together... THen play in Manual mode.
If you want a little helping hand, this book is a GREAT book to begin with
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274553136&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition)…[/ame]
I have only been shooting for a few months myself, but this book helped A LOT!! I am actually still practicing with it here and there... And I also start my Associate's Degree in Photography this summer (But I am also majoring in social work. I don't suggest majoring in photography alone in our current economical situation)
That's all from me for now

Hope this was helpful to you
