Annie Leibovitz Photoshop filters and masterclass

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by RayDalio, Feb 28, 2018.

1. espresso2x

espresso2x No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    John Hedgecoe.

Not with Rolling Stone. As i think you might be suggesting, among her best output. Although A Photographer's Life: 1990-2005 is quality throughout.

2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Nevertheless... Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like a bargain to me. Just to hear her creative thought process would be worth the money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    No doubt she is an incredible photographer, and a huge inspiration. I bought the Master Class and personally I feel that it's not worth the price. It's more like watching a long interview where most of the content is Annie talking about herself, and she shows you her photos and tells stories about them. I'm not saying it isn't inspiring or valueable, I just don't think it should be called a "Master Class".

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

There's a huge aspirational hook in those "Master Classes" but did you truly expect anything more? It's a rare short-term workshop or class that has much of a takeaway beyond vague sharing of the organizer's "vision."

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. DanOstergren

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, I expected a lot more. I've purchased similarly marketed video courses from other photographers and from Creative Live for the same price, and learned a ton. So much so that those courses were incredibly influential on my progression as a photographer. Those same courses were also very close to the same length in time. The photographers spent little time talking about themselves and showing their own photos, and dedicated the majority of the time on showing how they shoot, having recorded photoshoots and sharing their camera settings, light setups and even natural lighting setups, as well as in-depth color toning and retouching. One of them even took the time to record a call to their agent, and had a discussion with their agent about finding work, developing your look and skill, how to find an agent, what agents are looking for, etc.

I don't know why you're asking me if I expected more than a long-winded interview from something marketed as a Master Class. The answer again is yes and I don't think it was too much to expect.

6. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I’ve found the Creative Live courses that I’ve had the chance to watch to be excellent and looking to try a few more. Would love to know which ones you liked.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DanOstergren

Photos OK to edit
    Fashion Photography 101 with Lara Jade | CreativeLive

Photographer Shoot-off: Lara Jade vs. Joey L (DVD) Usually ships in 12 hours!!! | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  8. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Why? Because creatives in her league don't do YouTube style how-to videos. They might sell inspiration but instruction? Nope. Aspirational advertising won again, I'm afraid.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. dunfly

dunfly No longer a newbie, moving up!

[QUOTE="DanOstergren, post: 3851724, member: 150847
    I don't know why you're asking me if I expected more than a long-winded interview from something marketed as a Master Class. The answer again is yes and I don't think it was too much to expect.

I’ve found the Creative Live courses that I’ve had the chance to watch to be excellent and looking to try a few more. Would love to know which ones you liked.

Fashion Photography 101 with Lara Jade | CreativeLive

Photographer Shoot-off: Lara Jade vs. Joey L (DVD) Usually ships in 12 hours!!! | eBay[/QUOTE]

Have you (or anyone else) downloaded any of the other CreativeLive classes. I wasn't interested in the one you posted but looked through the site and found several that looked good. Any opinions as to the overall quality of the classes. There was a fundamentals and landscape class I was interested in. They seem to get good reviews.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Creative Live has a lot of classes, geared to beginning and intermediate-level shooters. I've watched about ten of them, and found them to be very well-done. Quality overall is high, especially if you're an intermediate or beginning-level shooter. Creative Live's goal is to get hobbyists and beginning professional people "up to speed" one might say, and so they really do make things clear, and there is explanation, and there is always "audience call-in (well, e-mail-in!) sprinkled throughout the sessions, which are rather long, as in hours long, and some have been two-day classes. Typically they have two staff members as moderators/facilitators; the presenter; and then a group of in-studio people who are there, taking notes, and asking questions at times. They show the shots "live", on a projection-sized screen, so the setups and the results are seen within seconds, which aids tremendously.

CreativeLive is not a "master class", and it's not for people who want to talk about ideas, or philosophies, or mindsets that underpin various areas of photography; it's instead a place that sells how-to information for people who are getting started, it's more about teaching the well-known industry practices and photographic fundamentals, the type of stuff that people used to learn from books, or from being a studio assistant,etc.. Creative Live classes are free when live, but you have to pay to be able to download the videos. I'm not trying to belittle CL, but it's largely people who are proficient in an area, but not say, Liebovitz-like in stature (since there are only a handful of people in her league). For the majority of people, Creative Live classes will be of a lot of value, and unlike some of the crap on YouTube, you can be confident that the information presented is actually accurate, unlike a LOT of stuff made and slapped up on YouTube by people of minimal experience.

Here's just _one_ CL page, dealing with portraiture; they have many others!

100+ Portrait Photography Tips, Classes, Tutorials | CreativeLive

• Like Like x 1
  11. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I own one CL class - The Art of Flower Photography by Kathleen Clemons. I bought it during a sale and feel it was 100% worth the cost. Her in person workshops cost $900+ so paying $60 for the CL class was a bargain and you can watch it over and over if you don't get something or need a refresher. The classes are pricey compared to

Previously I had a lynda.com membership which I found helpful as a beginner in learning how to use my camera and great tutorials on PSE11. Lately, now that I feel I'm more in the intermediate category in some things and a beginner - intermediate in others, and I've sort of found where my interest lies, I'm looking to improve in certain areas so I've been watching a lot of youtube but it's just not organized or thorough enough. I'm thinking of giving Kelbyone a try for a few months. There are several courses they have on offer in the $10/month membership that I am interested in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit

@dunfly Also check the CL "live" schedule - you may be able to preview or watch parts of some of the courses that you're interested in for free and then decide from there. One weekend a few months ago I was home sick and watched an entire on air CL class in one sitting.

• Like Like x 1