annie waits

Stillwater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry for the cheap Ben Folds reference.
Which do you like better? or which isn't the worse?
Thanks!

I know the faces are dark, I wasn't thinking about using a flash to counteract the hat at the time. Hindsight is 20-20, no? Oh and there was no PP, this c-41 black & white film I'm currently using seems to develop strangely (i.e. the hat being slightly red/purple).

I prefer the first to the second, as the shadow of the hat on her face is less apparent in that one and more light seems to be reflecting off the skin of her arms or off whatever it is she's holding in her hands than it does in the second. Also the scribblings on her arm don't show as much, which I find a tad irritating in the second. (My girl was that age not too long ago and I know she often came home from school with her arms all painted like this, too).

I'm not too fond of composition of the first, though, with her feet cut at the ankles and loads of space above her head. Only a slight tilt of the camera downwards would have included the whole Annie and the whole bench.

So with regards to composition, I tend to like the second one better. Bokeh is nice, while the bright spot right behind her is not quite so nice as it enhances the fact that there's too little light on her face.

I've decided no longer to use C41 b&w film since I was thoroughly annoyed about the strong colour cast the prints used to have when they came back from the lab. And yes, mine used to have that cast, too.

Thanks LaFoto! I knew when I pulled them out of the package that they were not quite what I had hoped for, but I appreciate the advice. Next time I'll make fewer mistakes, or at least try my best to!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back