Annother attempt at floral photography...

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
EXIF Data:
CameraCanon
ModelCanon EOS 50D
ISO100
Exposure1/1500 sec
Aperture2.8
Focal Length50mm
Flash Usedfalse

Purple1.jpg

Your focal point is wrong.

I think what he means is the flower right-center should be in focus. It is in the foreground and it is larger. I didn't even notice that anything was in focus until the end of my time looking at the image.

I think what he means is the flower right-center should be in focus. It is in the foreground and it is larger. I didn't even notice that anything was in focus until the end of my time looking at the image.

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks.

I agree, the in focus portions should be center, took my eyes quite a long time to find the center of attention, when it takes viewers this long to find the center of attention, they get bored and move on and dismiss your image.

Sometimes, it's smart to change the angle, so that the important elements in your shot are all close to the same plane, so they can all be in focus. Or using a higher ISO (if the noise isn't too great) to let you use a smaller F-stop to keep more of the picture in focus. Play around with those and see if things don't work out better.

Sometimes, it's smart to change the angle, so that the important elements in your shot are all close to the same plane, so they can all be in focus. Or using a higher ISO (if the noise isn't too great) to let you use a smaller F-stop to keep more of the picture in focus. Play around with those and see if things don't work out better.

Thank you... I see what your saying. I will try again in the near future if possible.... But I don't like to turn up my ISO... in my experience, this camera; the Canon 50D, performs best at low ISO setting. I like to keep it at 100 if I can. But this shot used a shutter of 1/1500 because of the bright sun... so I have a little room here.

Thanks for the input though; I appreciate it.

My next attempt will likely allow for a larger DoF.

Get a macro lens or diopter or ext tube and get closer. Don't have such a mish mash in your pix.

BTW, you aren't stuck with the noise you get. Try a program like NeatImage (there's a freeware version that works great, until you want to get the full-featured version) is very effective. If you haven't tried it, give that a shot.

If you're on a budget, consider the Phoenix 100 mm macro lens. It's very cheaply built, but the optics are surprisingly good. I don't do enough macro to justify a truly good lens, but that $100 Phoenix lens gives very good results. And as a bonus, you'll get practice at manual focus! :mrgreen:

(edit: apparently, it's price has gone up considerably; maybe the word got out)

Last edited:
From my experience (it's not that massive when it comes to flower shots I have to admit) I always found it a good idea to experiment with focus and distance at the same time as it gives more possibilities in creating and "arranging" the photograph.

Should focus more on the flower seem's faded. Nice job tho!

Your focal point is wrong.

Thanks for your input... I'm trying to improve... Statements like that are not very helpful.

Why is it wrong?

I agree, the in focus portions should be center, took my eyes quite a long time to find the center of attention, when it takes viewers this long to find the center of attention, they get bored and move on and dismiss your image.

These are what I meant. Sorry I wasn't helpful earlier. I think I intended to write a lot more then work pulled me away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back