annoying flash issues

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since i got my d90 i was never a fan of flash and always utilized available light or used reflectors, as the only flash I have is the popup flash. I got a popup flash diffuser today which makes the flash a great deal more usable so ive been using flash all day to fill in.
My annoyances are as follows. its probably because i have almost no experience using flash:
I get my manual settings down so that the picture has pretty much perfect exposure etc, except for shadows which i will fill with flash. then i take a pic with flash and either everything else is super dark, or everything has a super orange hue, i change WB to flash setting, also to tungsten ( which is the indoor light i was shooting under this evening), still not lifelike colors.

another problem is, in some tests, my pictures WITH flash have motion blur as if i was shooting with a 1 second shutter and f/6 in a dim room. but without flash they are crisp but need fill light.
most of the shots with flash are blurrier than without, i would think if the flash lit up the subject, it would be the opposite; more crisp.

maybe ive had a long day and its time to sleep....

I thought you were going to sleep?

Rear Curtain Sync?

SHutter speed is too long if you are getting blurry images with flash. SHoot flash in manual exposure mode, with the shutter set to a reasonable speed, like 1/60, 1/90,1/125, or 1/160 second...the flash will make crisp images...

If the shutter is allowed to run slow, which is called "dragging the shutter", you can easily get very blurry images, with a crisp outline/crisp part of the image where the flash goes off and renders things sharply.

SHutter speed is too long if you are getting blurry images with flash. SHoot flash in manual exposure mode, with the shutter set to a reasonable speed, like 1/60, 1/90,1/125, or 1/160 second...the flash will make crisp images...

If the shutter is allowed to run slow, which is called "dragging the shutter", you can easily get very blurry images, with a crisp outline/crisp part of the image where the flash goes off and renders things sharply.

Thanks I'll play around with shutter speeds more. I noticed when I had shutter fast enough to reduce blur, then the environment around the subject was too dark, and had a spotlight effect. I'll try rear curtain tomorrow..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back