Another 365 Project bites the dust... mostly

OrionsByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So yep, I made it four months. Not too bad. (Warning: this is long and mostly pointless.)

My goals were twofold when I started a 365 project at the beginning of the year: make sure I'm picking up my camera at least once a day, and make sure I'm learning something every time I pick up my camera.

Well, I succeeded in that first goal, but I don't really feel like I got anywhere close on the second. The problem was that I'd get to the end of a busy day and realize I hadn't posted anything yet, so I'd scramble to throw something together, and I really wasn't putting any thought in to any of it.

A couple weeks ago I missed a day for the first time, and just like dieting or quitting smoking or whatever else, once you miss it once, it's hard to keep up the same motivation. When my family and I were busy moving last week, I didn't even try to keep up with posting photos.

However, I've decided to use that lapse as kind of a "reboot" for the project. Instead of trying to do one photo per day, I'm going to keep the same theme list but do one per week, with the hope that I can actually spend more time and thought on it each week instead of going off-the-hip. Right now I need to put thought in to these if I'm going to learn anything, because I've got too much information floating around in my head that I haven't managed to make second-nature yet.

So today was the last day of week 1 of the "rebooted" project. The theme was "mother" so all week I had planned to take my wife and daughter out for a photoshoot some time this weekend. I had a couple ideas but they all involved shooting in direct sunlight with the sun behind them as a rim light, and using a flash in to an umbrella as the key light. It's something I tried once before but hadn't really got the hang of, so I figured it would be good practice.

My lesson from the photoshoot today is: photoshoots you want good results from are not the time to try a new technique. Especially when you have a wiggly 3-year old involved.

Anyways, I'm mostly just venting. I'm hoping this change of tactic will help me get results I'm happier with, but I also realize I haven't been spending nearly as much time just flat-out experimenting like I used to, so I need to do more of that as well.

Here's the photo I ended up with today. The tight crop is, admittedly, an attempt to rescue the shot a bit. The sun was behind them and slightly camera left, the umbrella was camera right. The flash was overexposed so I had to rescue that as well. Normally that's the kind of thing I'd adjust and dial in over the next couple shots (the flash was on manual), but I didn't get the opportunity since the little one wouldn't sit still. Lesson learned. ;)

DSC_2909.jpg

TLDR: Knowledge comes from experimentation and practice, not from mindlessly picking up the camera once a day because you "have" to.

Last edited:
I didn't read through the whole thing but if you write that much, I would expect more than 1 photo no?

Raian-san said:
I didn't read through the whole thing but if you write that much, I would expect more than 1 photo no?

:lol: fair 'nough. I'll post the other couple keepers in the morning.

I read it all and you can't leave me hanging on the 365!!!!! :lmao: But, I completely understand how you are feeling. My sister in law asked me two nights ago (after I told her I was out and about looking for my daily photo), "Why are you doing this project...I'm sorry, I just do not understand it."

It truly is nothing more than a personal goal. No one cares while you are in the heat of battle and no one will care when you are finished. I say you have to do what you have to do! :thumbup:

Alright here are a couple other shots that turned out pretty well. No "rescue" processing done on these but for my "mother" theme I still liked the first one.

2. Sun across the water and slightly above and left of the frame, umbrella camera right about 3 feet from the bench.
DSC_2886.jpg

3. Sun camera left, umbrella camera right. This was far more candid than anything else I took yesterday. We brought the bread so she could feed the ducks and geese, but she ended up munchin' most of it herself. :p
DSC_2906.jpg

I like #2 .. the feeling of Mommy Daughter time at the park

I love the second! Second for the mom's presence looking to the child.

Most reactions

Back