Another baby! Let me know what you think

McMommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Eeeee! I'm so excited because I shot all these on manual! I overexposed slightly on purpose, because I think it added to the pictures. These have been edited a little bit, but not much. She had these huge gorgeous blue eyes, and everything was taken inside with natural light next to a big window.

I feel like I'm getting better, but let me know what you think and why, please!

Thanks!

Lydiaeee097.jpg

Lydiaee045.jpg

Lydiae036.jpg

I overexposed slightly on purpose, because I think it added to the pictures.

You didn't overexpose. Maybe the camera told you on the light meter that you were high, but you made a correct exposure (which is more than I can do some days).

The first one's... good, but it's a little soft I think? Kid looks happy though, and anyone you show this too who isn't a die-hard photo critic will love it and think it's perfect.

#2 is great. Focus is perfect, the shallow depth works well 10/10. The only thing I'd do is adjust the color in the top left corner - the blanket looks really yellow there. Minor easy fix.

#3 isn't really my taste but a lot of people like this style

Good job

I hate babies.

But having said that, #1 is (I think) one of the best I have seen here.
I think #2 melted my cold, cold heart. Just a wee bit.

#3 meh.

I overexposed slightly on purpose, because I think it added to the pictures.

You didn't overexpose. Maybe the camera told you on the light meter that you were high, but you made a correct exposure (which is more than I can do some days).

The first one's... good, but it's a little soft I think? Kid looks happy though, and anyone you show this too who isn't a die-hard photo critic will love it and think it's perfect.

#2 is great. Focus is perfect, the shallow depth works well 10/10. The only thing I'd do is adjust the color in the top left corner - the blanket looks really yellow there. Minor easy fix.

#3 isn't really my taste but a lot of people like this style

Good job

Thank you! Actually in all 3, the blanket is a cream/off-white color. I think that's why the yellow is so dark, because I actually replaced the color. I'll see if I can lighten it some! I did a surface blur on the first one, maybe I shouldn't have? I like #3 too, but it's not the type of photo I prefer. It's the tradeoff I have for getting detail shots like only feet or only hands... it feels so awkward to just chop a poor baby's limbs off, so I try to include the rest of their body in the pic! LOL... Maybe I'll get used to it down the road, but for now, I just can't amputate newborn limbs from their pudgy little bodies.

And yes, the camera did have the exposure as 2 stops to the "+" side, so I thought I was technically overexposing, but it looked right to me. I'm glad it looks good!

Thanks again for the feedback!

I hate babies.

But having said that, #1 is (I think) one of the best I have seen here.
I think #2 melted my cold, cold heart. Just a wee bit.

#3 meh.

Haha, sure it's not because you're "high" still? Thank you, that is a compliment I take to the heart, especially coming from you!

Just kidding... thanks for the feedback!! I get that #3 isn't everyone's style, like I said above it's not really mine either, but the mom asked for something similar and I couldn't do it without it looking like I just chopped off the baby's feet and put them on a fluffy blanket. Gross, huh?

Ok I cloned the yellow blanket so it would be a bit lighter in the corner... I'm not fantastic with color replacement yet. I'm actually thinking about getting a book to help me navigate all the feature of PS Elements, but am holding off in the hopes that I can just get CS5 later this year!

Lydiaee045-1.jpg

Is that a little better?

And yes, the camera did have the exposure as 2 stops to the "+" side, so I thought I was technically overexposing, but it looked right to me. I'm glad it looks good!

When in doubt, use spot metering. It helps once you get comfortable with it. Overread posted a bunch of videos having to do with metering and exposure, was pretty helpful for me.
Here, found it. Check it out if you have a second (unless you already watched).

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...2887-learning-meter-begining-zone-system.html

Most reactions

Back