Another bag or go Pelican / similar?

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I need another bag. I have 2 huge Tamrac's that hurt the shoulder when moving. I have an older Pelican 15xx case that my Bronica's used to be in. But it's a carry not rolling. I am going to order new foam for it. But even if I reuse the Pelican, I still need at least 1 more case / bag for newly acquired equipment. I am interested in I think 1560 rolling Pelican case instead of another big camera bag. What do you guys prefer? Currently we have 2 big Tamrac's, 2 large backpacks, 1 medium backpack, and 1 small computer / backpack. Plus the Pelican to reuse.

The old Pellican I was intending to put my speedlights in it. As many as would safely fit anyway.

I've got both a Pelican roller and a Think Tank Airporter roller; the Think Tank is phenomenal. REALLY well built, takes a ****-ton of abuse, and after (I think) four years, still looks virtually brand-new. The Pelican case... well, it's a Pelican case. I would go for the Think Tank.

I've got both a Pelican roller and a Think Tank Airporter roller; the Think Tank is phenomenal. REALLY well built, takes a ****-ton of abuse, and after (I think) four years, still looks virtually brand-new. The Pelican case... well, it's a Pelican case. I would go for the Think Tank.
Thaks, I have not paid attention to other brands other than Pelican. I know there are cheap knock offs of Pelican. But guess there were also some quality ones available as well.

Thaks, I have not paid attention to other brands other than Pelican. I know there are cheap knock offs of Pelican. But guess there were also some quality ones available as well.

I have a pelican 1510SC that holds all my cameras and lenses, but it typically only leaves my house if I’m shooting a wedding or traveling far from home by car.

Even with the rollers on it, I find it a PITA to carry and bring with me. I’m looking to purchase a bigger backpack/rolling bag eventually to replace it, and the pelican will only be used for extreme conditions at that point.

For day to day photography I pull out what I need and place in into one of the half dozen or so smaller shoulder bags/backpacks that I have.

I recently obtained three Plano tool boxes. I considered the Pelican as well as SKB and some smaller boxes of various manufacture. Since I don't plan to consign my photography gear to airline baggage handlers, I went cheap. I bought the Plano boxes for $15 each, which is about 1/10 the price of the SKB carry-ons.

I still plan to use my small bags when traipsing through some amusement park or similar, but I found that regular digging around in bags was getting old in a hurry. I have a low tolerance for frustration, and I absolutely hate soft bags.

Part of my issue is the shoulder bags are double stacked. Things under things. And well I try to put things back in same location. It doesn't alway happen. And now your searching through the bag looking for something. And with 2 big bags, I go "is it in that one or that one"? So, I think I want a case / bag that I can open the top too and see everything right there. My Bronica Pelican was that way. So, the though of buying a larger rolling Pelican came to my mind. Now thinking I need two big ones. Like others I do the swap out of things I think I will need, and not need. And the not needed items tend to go on a set of shelves. Well they are not protected there, and again things get put in front of other things. So, time to get organized before something gets ruined. And just stuffing into one of a number of bags is getting old.

Also, I am thinking of putting the bigger lenses in a case (or one in one case and one in another). As I can't close the Nikon hard cases with the QR plates mounted on them. And the Nikon hard cases are not easy to move around with other equipment as well.

I recently obtained three Plano tool boxes. .
Actually looked at Plano as well to save some money. Been looking at quite a few options last 2 days.
Look at Think Tank - there is no better bag.
About to find out. - Adorama has agreed to send me a Think Tank Photo Airport Security V3.0 in exchange for some numbers off a piece of plastic I have in my wallet.

Still need to order new foam for existing Pelican. And decide on a 2nd "container". Now thinking of putting my most used Nikon film cameras in the old Pelican and get something rolling for the speedlights. Something big enough for most of them, triggers, and the accessories. Flash accessories are all over the place. So, I may need 2 more rolling cases of some type.

Actually looked at Plano as well to save some money. Been looking at quite a few options last 2 days.
About to find out. - Adorama has agreed to send me a Think Tank Photo Airport Security V3.0 in exchange for some numbers off a piece of plastic I have in my wallet.

Still need to order new foam for existing Pelican. And decide on a 2nd "container". Now thinking of putting my most used Nikon film cameras in the old Pelican and get something rolling for the speedlights. Something big enough for most of them, triggers, and the accessories. Flash accessories are all over the place. So, I may need 2 more rolling cases of some type.

Keep us updated on the new bag if you can man. I’ve been considering that exact think tank and would love to hear your thoughts on it.

I need another bag. I have 2 huge Tamrac's that hurt the shoulder when moving. I have an older Pelican 15xx case that my Bronica's used to be in. But it's a carry not rolling. I am going to order new foam for it. But even if I reuse the Pelican, I still need at least 1 more case / bag for newly acquired equipment. I am interested in I think 1560 rolling Pelican case instead of another big camera bag. What do you guys prefer? Currently we have 2 big Tamrac's, 2 large backpacks, 1 medium backpack, and 1 small computer / backpack. Plus the Pelican to reuse.

The old Pellican I was intending to put my speedlights in it. As many as would safely fit anyway.

wow, 'double stacked' multiple backpacks, big rolling camera bags, Pelican hard cases ... a lot of heavy gear!
this old guy just uses a small messenger bag or a waist pack .... it's nice traveling with a small mirrorless camera
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Last edited:

wow, 'double stacked' multiple backpacks, big rolling camera bags, Pelican hard cases ... a lot of heavy gear!
this old guy just uses a small messenger bag or a waist pack .... it's nice traveling with a small mirrorless camera
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless
Well in some situations I am sure that is more than enough. Some people have done well with just 1 camera and a single lens. But if I am paid to do a job, I make sure I can do the job. And if a failure occurs, I can still do the job. Also when working for my own pleasure. I don't want to travel several hours and get somewhere. Only to find out the one thing I brought doesn't work. So, yes I bring too much. And yes, I implied the bags were too heavy on the strap on the shoulder. So, instead of leaving equipment behind. I am going a new course where moving the equipment is easier. Also I believe it will help keep things more organized and easier to find.

As for Mirrorless, I have looked at a Sony 7r ii twice now. I have read the reviews and looked at it's performance charts on more than several occasions. It may be in the cards in the future or one of it's versions. But at this time. It's down the list a bit.

Last edited:
...About to find out. - Adorama has agreed to send me a Think Tank Photo Airport Security V3.0 in exchange for some numbers off a piece of plastic I have in my wallet.
That's the new version of my daily driver. You won't regret it.

I have a pelican 1510SC that holds all my cameras and lenses, but it typically only leaves my house if I’m shooting a wedding or traveling far from home by car.

Even with the rollers on it, I find it a PITA to carry and bring with me. I’m looking to purchase a bigger backpack/rolling bag eventually to replace it, and the pelican will only be used for extreme conditions at that point.

For day to day photography I pull out what I need and place in into one of the half dozen or so smaller shoulder bags/backpacks that I have.
Now that you mentioned it about the pelican being a pita. We have our boroscopes in big pelican cases that roll. We almost always take out the boroscopes and leave the rolling case behind. The cases are huge and more for protection when shipped.

Keep us updated on the new bag if you can man. I’ve been considering that exact think tank and would love to hear your thoughts on it.
For a small miniscule fee of $430 I will give you a very in depth review. :allteeth: If you want the free version. You will have to wait for the much shorter version with lots of commercials imbedded in the review. :aiwebs_016:

Most reactions

Back