Another Day, Another Attempt, Another Street Shooting. C&C pls! :)

noritje

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
faiezshoots.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, here another batch of pictures from my attempt on the street photography. You can see from the pictures that I'm still very nervous in getting up close and personal with the subjects. But unlike my other thread, these weren't shoot from the hip :)

Please C&C, what I can do better, or is there any improvement from my older pictures etc? The previous attempt

Thanks!

The Boy
_mg_1099.jpg

The Lover
_mg_1210.jpg

The Goodbye
_mg_1153.jpg

The Cyclist
_mg_1174.jpg

The Parents
_mg_1046.jpg

The Confusion
_mg_1022.jpg

I'm not trying to say none of these pictures are "good" per se but none of them actually do "anything" for me except perhaps picture number 2. For instance, the last picture is just a regular picture. There isn't really any emotion or story to it.

I'm not trying to say none of these pictures are "good" per se but none of them actually do "anything" for me except perhaps picture number 2. For instance, the last picture is just a regular picture. There isn't really any emotion or story to it.

Did you check my previous pictures? Was it better in terms of subject and story behind it, which means I got worse? Or was it the same which means I am not improving?

I think these are some pretty good shots. I would push your levels a bit more to add contrast as they seem very grey-heavy. I really like the cyclist photo though, great composition, nice placement of your subject and he's riding a very interesting looking bike. Great work, although I only thought your others suffered from central placement of your subjects.

None of these do anything for me. The overall exposures look alright, but the shots are just boring. You really need to capture people doing things, making funny faces, tripping, dropping things, whatever. You literally have to wait for that split second time frame when they do something that we dont normally see and capture it.

Sherman: Point taken :) Please see the pic below, is the levels better? Or not? Is it still greyish?

bdavis: I know what you mean, that's what I've been waiting to capture but I guess back on the street and practice practice practice.

By the way, I have another shot taken today. Personally I like the subject, it's funny and worth capturing, I think. C&C is appreciated!

_mg_1288.jpg

That one's better. Here's an edit I did with your cyclist photo (since it was my favorite but way too grey). All I did was adjust the curve on it to boost contrast.
BikeDude.jpg

That one's better. Here's an edit I did with your cyclist photo (since it was my favorite but way too grey). All I did was adjust the curve on it to boost contrast.
BikeDude.jpg

Aaaah! It does make a difference and it looked wayy better now! :thumbup:

Another noob question, is it always better to shoot in B&W OR convert it in PP? My previous set (in another thread) was shot in B&W and those I posted here were converted later on in PP.

Aaaah! It does make a difference and it looked wayy better now! :thumbup:
Thanks, it really takes little effort to do that but it makes a big difference.

Another noob question, is it always better to shoot in B&W OR convert it in PP? My previous set (in another thread) was shot in B&W and those I posted here were converted later on in PP.
I shoot in RAW, correct any exposure or white balance issues in Adobe Camera RAW and then do most post processing in Photoshop. If I want B&W, I can easily do that in either program and then tweak the levels to give it a better feel. Also, if you shoot RAW on B&W mode, your camera won't actually convert the file to B&W, but it will display as that on your LCD to help give you an idea of how it turned out. You will then have to convert it later in PP. I think this is the best shooting format because you may want one of those images in color and shooting B&W jpeg will not allow you to retrieve the color data. Hope this helps and I look forward to your next set.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back