Buying off camera flashes

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had bought these 2 mini slave flashes a while back and I've learned a lot from them by using them off camera, but i'm now thinking I need something more reliable (either its my cactus v2s triggers or the recycling that is holding me up, and i think its the recycle) and that gives me the ability to adjust the flash power manually.

on that same note, i cant afford to buy a nice 580ex or even close, really. i dont even plan to ever have it mounted to my camera. so anything you guys can suggest?

The Vivitar 285HV (or the new one that marketed by GI) seems to be a good choice for $90 new or $40-50 used

If you're only going to use the flashes for off-camera use, take a look at the LumoPro LP120 Manual Flashes. These were commisioned by Midwest Photo Exchange as strickly off-camera flashes for the strobist community. I plan to pick up two of these after I buy a couple of lenses first.

any big adnvantages to the LumoPro and the Vivitar 285HV that warrents the price difference?

I'd say go for the vivitar, its a great flash for the money.

You said something about your triggers holding you up, maybe getting some pocket wizards might help?

compared to one another is what I meant...sorry. having re-read that, it wasn't very clear.
Oh...well, from what I heard the latest Vivitar 285HVs had quality control issues but that may have been before Vivitar got taken over/bought out. Not sure about current stock.

I heard the Gadget Infinity/Cactus made flashes have quality control problems.

From what I'm hearing about the LumoPro LP120s, they aren't the best made flashes around but they aren't the worst either. They're very light and feel cheap. But they do work. Some are complaining that they're a little weak. MPEX is thinking of making improvements down the line but that will increase the price.

You might want to see if you can locate used Nikon SB-26s. They might be hard to find though as strobists tend to buy these as soon as they're put up for sale. They usually sell for less than $100 and are very good flashes.
Pockets are way out of my budget considering im looking for a frugal flash. i WAS however thinking of upgrading to this eventually:

AlienBees: The CyberSync 2.4GHz Radio Remote Control system
I use CyberSyncs as well as many of my shooting buddies. 8 of us use CyberSyncs while 3 guys use PocketWizards. No one has had any complaints about the CyberSyncs yet. I test fired one of my flashes placed on one corner of my property while I was standing on the far opposite corner with the house between us and the flash fired every time I hit the test button. It was cool but the neighbors probably thought I was nuts.

What are your thoughts on buying used flashes though?

What are your thoughts on buying used flashes though?

For me, it is fine. After all, 9x% of my photo gears are used. I have a $30 Vivitar 283 (high trigger voltage), and 2 Vivitar 285HV (low trigger voltage) for $45 and $50 respectively. The $50 one came with a AC adapter and external battery pack cable (no battery pack) and a Vivitar made bounce holder with bounce card. So that is a much better deal.

All of them works great. Hoever, for the 283, I need to mod it for the vari power or buy one from B&H. Unlike the 285hv, I can manaully change it to full power, 1/2, 1/4 or 1/16 power.

For me, it is fine. After all, 9x% of my photo gears are used. I have a $30 Vivitar 283 (high trigger voltage), and 2 Vivitar 285HV (low trigger voltage) for $45 and $50 respectively. The $50 one came with a AC adapter and external battery pack cable (no battery pack) and a Vivitar made bounce holder with bounce card. So that is a much better deal.

All of them works great. Hoever, for the 283, I need to mod it for the vari power or buy one from B&H. Unlike the 285hv, I can manaully change it to full power, 1/2, 1/4 or 1/16 power.

This post seems very informative for me, but im a little confused.

Are you saying the 285hv has less capabilities than the 283 as far as manual control? except the 283 uses higher voltage?

regarding the higher voltage, since i wont be using it on camera ever, does that just mean it will eat up more battery for me?

Where did you find your flashes for $45 and $50? I'm finding them all at $85 and more...

This post seems very informative for me, but im a little confused.

Are you saying the 285hv has less capabilities than the 283 as far as manual control? except the 283 uses higher voltage?

regarding the higher voltage, since i wont be using it on camera ever, does that just mean it will eat up more battery for me?

Where did you find your flashes for $45 and $50? I'm finding them all at $85 and more...

Sorry for the confusion.

285hv is better because out of the box, you can change the flash power from 1/1 to 1/2, 1/4 or 1/16. But the 283 cannot do that unless you mod it yourself or replace the front part with VP-1. (it seems that this part is discontinued from B&H now) (i.e. Vivitar 283 Flash Vari-power VP-1 module - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum)

After that, you can manually adjust the power on both flashes.

As for the trigger voltage. Only the newer 285hv has the lower trigger voltage. The older 285hv and the 283 has trigger voltage over 200V. It may damage some new DSLRs and may not work with some RF remote triggers (i.e. Cactus V2 vs V2s) or some optical slave trigger.

The new 285 flashes usually go for about $90. I bought them used from ebay as well as craigslist and that is why they are cheaper.

I have a couple 285's and I like them, also I got a very cheap Canon 430ez, and Use it quite often. The EZ series only works with film, SLRS, so they are pretty cheap used. Actually, I should say that TTL only works with film cameras, pretty much everything else still works on Digital bodies. The 430's are adjustable from full to 1/32 power.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back